1. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

United States
    I don't think many people think it's worth the effort when you can just dump discs (I believe even over the network) from a Wii U drive.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Apart from the Wii U drive requiring a console-unique encryption key to work (which there are no public tools for dumping AFAIK), not much. But as you say, it's not IDE/SATA, so it would actually require custom hardware (likely FPGA based) in order to connect to a PC.
    We might have seen something like that had the Wii U been as successful as Nintendo hoped, but it kinda flopped, so it never reached its full potential, both hacking wise and otherwise.

3. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

United States
    I don't have that attitude but unfortunately I couldn't program to save my life, unless scratch somehow counts :/

alexander1970 likes this.
  4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Wii U drives actually are SATA internally, but you'd need a custom adapter to connect it to a standard SATA host interface. That, and as you've mentioned, there's the console-unique encryption key, so even if an adapter was available, you'd still need some sort of interface board (with an FPGA or similar) to convert between encrypted Wii U SATA and standard unencrypted SATA.

Overall, it's not worth it. The easiest method is running a disc dumping program on a hacked Wii U.

jeffyTheHomebrewer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - disks,