Hacking Can a jailbroken fat BC PS3 run pirated PS2 games better ?

jefazo92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,

I am a late into PS3 jailbreaking. I would like to know if I manage to buy a backward compatible fat PS3 ad jailbreak it, would it run pirated PS2 games better or would be no change than running them on a slim PS3 ? It is for me to know wheter to buy a fat BC PS3 or a slim PS3 (which occupies less space and have read that is less prone to failure). Also can the PS3 still be jailbroken with the 4.86 software update ?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A BC PS3 would be the best for PS2 games, yes. The software emulation on Slim PS3's is decent, but it definitely wouldn't beat an actual backwards compatible model. They are more prone to failure, as you mentioned, so it's a bit of trade off between great compatibility and potential failure or decent compatibility and less chance of failure.

As to jailbreaking, yes, 4.86 is still exploitable via PS3Hen. https://www.psx-place.com/threads/u...3-exploit-for-superslims-noncfw-models.23955/ < you can find more info here.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 Classic's software emulator has its limitations in game compatibility if we are talking about the piracy route. BC PS3 is great for legit physical copies of ps2

Reactions: jefazo92

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah not only is it better compatibility wise I was just playing a PS2 ISO on my Slim the other day and my PS3 started blinking the red light and beeping. I had to use sman to turn the fan up to over 50% when running PS2 games which is pretty loud. It's a shame that Sony got cheap and decided to go the emulation route in all the PS3's past the Fats because the Fats die a lot themselves because they're just poorly made.

jefazo92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi thank you all for you answers. So as far I understand if I download PS2 ISO files on a fat BC PS3, the PS3 would perform software emulation anyways but would not use the PS2 hardware inside to run the games better. So unless I have physical PS2 copies it doesn't matter whether I go for Fat BC or Slim, right ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There were many ps2 classics released on ps3 in a container file.

You can swap out the contents in some cases for mixed results. Your milage may vary but I'd recommend pcsx2 or a modded ps4 just for the sake of a better controller.

Also has the PS4 been modded now ? Read somewhere that currently it hasn't be hacked due to a patch they made 1 or 2 years ago. It would be amazing if I could jailbreak it too.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Worth pointing out (as you're in Europe) - we never got the fully hardware BC models here. The Euro fat PS3 (with four usb ports, came with a 60gb drive) only had BC via emulation, so in that respect you'll find there's little difference with PS2 compatability between other PS3 models.
If you want full hardware BC on PS3 you'll need either an American or Japanese fat system.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So as far I understand if I download PS2 ISO files on a fat BC PS3, the PS3 would perform software emulation anyways but would not use the PS2 hardware inside to run the games better. So unless I have physical PS2 copies it doesn't matter whether I go for Fat BC or Slim, right ?

No. You can use either the software emulator or the ps2 hardware in a backward compatible ps3 to run iso on the hard drive. I don't know what the default is now, but you used to install the full rebug toolbox and use that to switch between them.

Worth pointing out (as you're in Europe) - we never got the fully hardware BC models here. The Euro fat PS3 (with four usb ports, came with a 60gb drive) only had BC via emulation, so in that respect you'll find there's little difference with PS2 compatability between other PS3 models.

Original NTSC had EE+GS. Later NTSC+PAL had emulated EE but still had GS hardware.
The compatibility of the emulated EE with GS hardware is much closer to EE+GS hardware consoles than the emulated EE+GS.

Essentially EE is much easier to emulate than GS.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: jefazo92

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Buy the cheapest one you can find. They are all good now just with differents ups and down. If you want real good ps2 emulation buy a ps4 (again cheapest you can find) the new jailbreaks will come out when ps5 comes out... and ps2 emulation will be best ever.

D

Deleted User

If you want to play pretty much everything ps3. If you are ok with occasionally not being able to play a game then hands down ps4. If you absolutely need the best pc and emulation. I revisited this recently and playing ps2 on ps3 hurt my eyes. I couldn't believe it. I was like is this what I remember? The improvement is sometimes not so dramatic but to me something about how ps4 renders the ps2 image it's just damn nice. Thing is not all games work. For the record i have a phat ps3 with bc.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Original NTSC had EE+GS. Later NTSC+PAL had emulated EE but still had GS hardware.
The compatibility of the emulated EE with GS hardware is much closer to EE+GS hardware consoles than the emulated EE+GS.

Essentially EE is much easier to emulate than GS.

That's all true, but in my experience the "emulated only" BC models had a lot of titles that wouldn't run from retail disks (SvC Chaos was the main one that pissed me off for not running).
My original point stands; there was never a PS3 released in Europe that ran PS2 at a hardware level.

Reactions: Ryccardo

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My original point stands; there was never a PS3 released in Europe that ran PS2 at a hardware level.

In fact there was never any PS3 that was 100% hardware, the IOP is always software emulated.

Personally I prefer to use a ps2 slim with open ps2 loader, I have a CECHA00 & DECHA00 PS3 but the chance of them dying puts me off. I had a fat ps2, but it seems to have disappeared. I'm hoping to find that one day, although it is quite a bit noisier.

Reactions: Ryccardo and duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In fact there was never any PS3 that was 100% hardware, the IOP is always software emulated.

Personally I prefer to use a ps2 slim with open ps2 loader, I have a CECHA00 & DECHA00 PS3 but the chance of them dying puts me off. I had a fat ps2, but it seems to have disappeared. I'm hoping to find that one day, although it is quite a bit noisier.
Yeah. Imo, you can't beat a PS2 for playing PS2 games ;)
I have 2 fats; one chipped and another with freeHDboot which is my main one now (picked it up in a charity shop a couple of years ago for a tenner! The one that's modchipped is the one I've owned since the system launched)

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Most games work fine under the PS2EMU, but games like Star Ocean 3 has alot of slowdowns in intensive areas. For those games, HW BC is recommended.

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah not only is it better compatibility wise I was just playing a PS2 ISO on my Slim the other day and my PS3 started blinking the red light and beeping. I had to use sman to turn the fan up to over 50% when running PS2 games which is pretty loud. It's a shame that Sony got cheap and decided to go the emulation route in all the PS3's past the Fats because the Fats die a lot themselves because they're just poorly made.

Jesus, i have the same blinking red lights and beeping when play some ps2 on my ps3, i didnt know that was overheating. I just reset and play again ... my god i was thinking my ps3 was dying.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus, i have the same blinking red lights and beeping when play some ps2 on my ps3, i didnt know that was overheating. I just reset and play again ... my god i was thinking my ps3 was dying.

No it's just PS2 games put a lot of stress on the system. I would download sman or you could use webman but I prefer sman and change PS3 fan % to over 50%. It will be somewhat loud, but better than losing your PS3. Personally I love sman because it gives you all your games on the xmb and there's also a GUI with all your games without having to enter multiman if that's what you use like most people.

sman-jpg

https://www.psx-place.com/resources/sman-webman-slaunch.545/

To me it only happens on certain games like King of Fighters Maximum Impact Regulation A (Japanese game) I couldn't play 5 minutes without it happening but then on other games it's fine.

Last edited by Jayinem81,
Reactions: smf

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recommend a cheap slim PS2 for PS2 games and a cheap super slim or slim PS3 for PS3 games.

I would not recommend a phat PS3 at all, because of their inclination to fail. Also, they consume the most power and are the loudest out of the 3 sizes of PS3. I think they are the loudest, at least. The super slim is louder than the slim but it uses less power I think.

Phat PS3s are also most likely to be in much worse condition than super slims and slims and they are likely to be expensive if they are backwards compatible.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah. Imo, you can't beat a PS2 for playing PS2 games ;)
I have 2 fats; one chipped and another with freeHDboot which is my main one now (picked it up in a charity shop a couple of years ago for a tenner! The one that's modchipped is the one I've owned since the system launched)
Not every PS2 can actually even play every PS2 game, I think. There are a small number of titles with problems.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,
Reactions: smf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Phat PS3s are also most likely to be in much worse condition than super slims and slims and they are likely to be expensive if they are backwards compatible.

I was lucky and picked up a launch japanese console and a test console where neither look like they had been used very much, for quite cheap (~£50 each IIRC), but it means that I am very unlikely to ever actually use them :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.