Can a Firewire Cable....

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by SavageWaffle, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SavageWaffle
    OP

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Can a firewire cable(4 pin, image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FireWire_cables.jpg) charge a PSP? Because, im about to get a PSP from a good friend of mine, but wont include charger because he says he lost it. So instead of buying a charger for $15(cause i have better things to spend) can i charge the PSP with a 4 PIN FIREWIRE Cable? Just found it lying around, decided to use it. Can i also transfer files while im charging it? Like photos, music, etc. This is for a OLD PSP, meaning the fat PSP. And will a 4 pin fit? You can see a demonstration of the 4pin firewire cable on the link i posted.

2. myuusmeow

myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Haha, have you even seen the top of a PSP? It won't even fit.

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Actually didn't get the PSP just yet, getting it tomorrow =O. So it wont fit?

4. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    United Kingdom
    No chance. Aside from the physical characteristics of the connectors being completely different, the voltages are different as well - 30 volts over FireWire compared to the 5v USB or the PSP charger puts out. Also, only the Slim-and-Lite revamped PSP supports USB charging, not the Old-and-Fat version.

5. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Aw, so the only way i can charge the Fat PSP is to buy the charger? And will it work with the new slim charger?(not sure if its differnt)

6. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Afraid so. The chargers are the same for both versions, to my knowledge, and you can pick them up on eBay for well under $15.

7. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    im thinking of just buying it at walmart to somthing. Don't trust ebay, after my brother got sacmmed(a fake 2gb ipod nano) i never trusted eBay. And i dont want to wait another 2 months to get a freaken lawsuit moving. Just rather goto walmart and actually but the real version, not the fake chienses versions.

8. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Unlike any DS or GBA model, PSP uses a standard connector. Which means the right generic power supply should work.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Thanks guys.