Can a Firewire Cable....

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by SavageWaffle, Apr 10, 2008.

Apr 10, 2008

Can a Firewire Cable.... by SavageWaffle at 12:03 AM (1,412 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Can a firewire cable(4 pin, image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FireWire_cables.jpg) charge a PSP? Because, im about to get a PSP from a good friend of mine, but wont include charger because he says he lost it. So instead of buying a charger for $15(cause i have better things to spend) can i charge the PSP with a 4 PIN FIREWIRE Cable? Just found it lying around, decided to use it. Can i also transfer files while im charging it? Like photos, music, etc. This is for a OLD PSP, meaning the fat PSP. And will a 4 pin fit? You can see a demonstration of the 4pin firewire cable on the link i posted.

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Haha, have you even seen the top of a PSP? It won't even fit.

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Actually didn't get the PSP just yet, getting it tomorrow =O. So it wont fit?

4. Tigerstar

Newcomer Tigerstar Advanced Member

No chance. Aside from the physical characteristics of the connectors being completely different, the voltages are different as well - 30 volts over FireWire compared to the 5v USB or the PSP charger puts out. Also, only the Slim-and-Lite revamped PSP supports USB charging, not the Old-and-Fat version.

5. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Aw, so the only way i can charge the Fat PSP is to buy the charger? And will it work with the new slim charger?(not sure if its differnt)

6. Tigerstar

Newcomer Tigerstar Advanced Member

Afraid so. The chargers are the same for both versions, to my knowledge, and you can pick them up on eBay for well under $15.

7. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    im thinking of just buying it at walmart to somthing. Don't trust ebay, after my brother got sacmmed(a fake 2gb ipod nano) i never trusted eBay. And i dont want to wait another 2 months to get a freaken lawsuit moving. Just rather goto walmart and actually but the real version, not the fake chienses versions.

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Unlike any DS or GBA model, PSP uses a standard connector. Which means the right generic power supply should work.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys.