Hacking Can a fake DSTT harm a DS Lite?

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can a fake DSTT hurt my flashed DS Lite? Some people say yes, some say no.

Now, today I bought a new MicroSD, so it's completely fresh, clean. Is this what I should download?: ( 1.17 Kernal for fake DSTT, no fake killer) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=128510&st=15
It looks like a pretty safe choice in my situation, however, I heard some things about a fake killer (I know this one doesn't come with fake killer), etc., hurting the supercard, so is the above kernal I linked a safe choice? ^

Thanks!

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
fake killer will destroy your DSTT. If the fake can hurt your DS, it does not matter which firmware it has, only by throwing it away will you cause any difference. And fake killer will force you to throw away your fake, this is how it helps you.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that kernel comes with the fake-killer code. No, the fake-killer code won't damage your NDS. It will only kill your fake DSTT, but there is a way to restore it.

Here are the instructions for installing a version of 1.17 that has the fake-killer code disabled (assuming you haven't already killed your DSTT):[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.17 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4476[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy TTMENU.DAT from the archive to your microSD card (that version has the fake-killer code disabled). Optional: copy DsttFlashChecker.nds to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]You should see a menu with your games and the DsttFlashChecker program listed (if you installed it). You can run DsttFlashChecker if you installed it to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. Always keep the following in mind:
  • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
  • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
  • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
  • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
  • Make sure you don't use the official TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
If you suspect your DSTT is a fake and has been destroyed by the fake-killer firmware, try these steps:[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.17 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4476[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy all four files from the archive to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]Run the DsttFlashChecker program to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT. If you have a fake DSTT and suspect that it may have been destroyed by the official fake-killer firmware, run the DsttFlashWriter program to re-flash your DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. You can delete DsttFlashChecker.nds, DsttFlashWriter.nds, and DSTTDUMP.BIN from your microSD card if you want.[*]Always keep the following in mind:
  • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
  • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
  • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
  • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
  • Make sure you don't use the official TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware problem. You should return your flash cart where you got it from. There is no good way to fix a contact or other hardware problem.

-Bri

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much!

How can I find out if my DSTT was hurt from a kernel fake-killer without inserting a MicroSD in? If my DSTT was hurt, on my new MicroSD, I can add in the recovery files and put a proper kernel in.

P.S., step 9 if I think fake killer killed my DSTT: Run the DsttFlashChecker program to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT. If you have a fake DSTT and suspect that it may have been destroyed by the official fake-killer firmware, run the DsttFlashWriter program to re-flash your DSTT.

1. I know I have a fake DSTT.
2. What is re-flashing the DSTT? Because I know already I have a fake.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Install the "good" fake-killer disabled firmware first by following the directions above (the first set of directions). Then if it still doesn't work, it's possible that your DSTT was killed by fake-killer firmware.

First check to make sure it is a fake -- use the fake detector program (DsttFlashChecker) or look at the shape of the microSD holder or both.

If you know it's a fake and doesn't work with the fake-killer disabled firmware, put the fake recovery program (DsttFlashWriter) onto your microSD card (along with its data file) and run it to restore your fake.

"Re-flashing" the DSTT is just another way of saying "recovering" or "restoring" the DSTT to its original state after it got "killed" by the fake-killer firmware. The fake-killer code kills a fake DSTT by scrambling its internal flash memory, so "re-flashing" restores the flash memory to its original state so it will work properly.

-Bri

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri, your second set of instructions says for a dead fake DSTT, however they are the same instructions as for a damaged but still working DSTT, as said in your download: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086

I'll take it your second set of instructions are for damaged but still working, and the instructions for a completely dead DSTT is in your download, however, is there any way to restore a completely dead DSTT without a working one?

I know what I must do now, however, if set 2 instructions doesn't work (and my DSTT turns out to be dead, hopefully it's not) I don't know what to do since I don't have a working flash cart.

Last time my MicroSD was in (with the freezing and health hazards, and along with the virus) my DSTT was working, but only randomly. Since then, I haven't put the MicroSD back in and opened (perhaps once or twice), any possibility the DSTT could've completely broke?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first is for an UNDAMAGED DSTT. The second is for a DAMAGED DSTT (which will usually still work intermittently).

The only difference between the two instructions has to do with the restoration process (which you don't need to do unless your DSTT is DAMAGED).

No, there is no way to restore a completely dead DSTT without a working one. If you can't run the DsttFlashWriter program, you can't restore it.

Usually (though not always) you will be able to get a damaged DSTT to run at least once. Some people have reported that they had to try like 20 or 30 times before they were able to get it to run, but they finally were. So if it was working intermittently, it's quite likely that you'll be able to get it to work again and you'll be able to restore it good as new.

-Bri

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
The first is for an UNDAMAGED DSTT. The second is for a DAMAGED DSTT (which will usually still work intermittently).

The only difference between the two instructions has to do with the restoration process (which you don't need to do unless your DSTT is DAMAGED).

No, there is no way to restore a completely dead DSTT without a working one. If you can't run the DsttFlashWriter program, you can't restore it.

Usually (though not always) you will be able to get a damaged DSTT to run at least once. Some people have reported that they had to try like 20 or 30 times before they were able to get it to run, but they finally were. So if it was working intermittently, it's quite likely that you'll be able to get it to work again and you'll be able to restore it good as new.

-Bri

And, do you think there was any possibility my DSTT could've died... I know it seems unlikely. Last time MicroSD was in, was working randomly. Any possibility DSTT could've died?

And you say I might need to try a lot. I try, it doesn't work and I restart the DS? or Softreset?

Edit: 20-30 times to get it to run? You mean the DS running? I thought you meant for flashwriter to work. If it's just the DS running, I don't think I'll have a problem.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DsttFlashWriter should work the first time once you get it to run. I meant that some people can't get their DSTT to boot up at all, so they're not able to run DsttFlashWriter without another (working) DSTT.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte