Camera question.....

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Mar 27, 2007.

Mar 27, 2007

Camera question..... by Harsky at 11:23 AM (599 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Asking this on behalf of my dad who bought a Nikon D200 camera and decided to wake me up at 1am to help him with the PC aspect of it. One of the questions he asked was if there was a way to see the information such as the ISO/Tone/Balance etc of the picture on the PC. This I didn't know the answer to. He showed me that when you view the picture in the camera it displays all the into. Is there any camera savvy people here who knows if it's possible to see all the information of the photo but instead of the camera, on a PC instead?

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Most of that information is stored in the file header. Most newer image viewers can show you that info. ACDSee... aaaand I can't think of any others. Or you can open the image in Notepad (you have to insist, or Windows will simply refuse), and find that info. You have to know what each number means, because there aren't any units, but those numbers are pretty single-purpose (for example, 200 is most likely ISO, etc.).

Hope that helps.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Wondering if there's any "idiot proof" type programs where all you just do is click on the jpeg or load the jpeg and it just gives the info right there? I don't think he's the sort where he even knows that you can delete photos from the CF card on the PC let alone changing contrast/brightness in Photoshop anytime soon

4. m|kk|

Member m|kk| GBAtemp Regular

United States
    IIRC, you can just go to the picture in Explorer, right-click and view Properties -> Summary -> Advanced for all that good info [​IMG] (in Windows XP anyhow)

Er... you can't see the histograms or anything cool like that tho [​IMG] I was just thinking ISO... [​IMG] lol. Hope that helps anyway! [​IMG]

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    As I said, ACDSee. It's pretty versatile, and once you find the "info" feature, it can be used by trained monkeys. (I'll assume your dad is more intelligent than a trained monkey.) Don't have it here at the moment, so I can't point you to the exact feature and feature name, but it's in there somewhere.