Calling all British, beware of your legal tender

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have just heard some dire news. As of 30th June this year Banks and Shops could refuse to accept or exchange the old style £20 notes with the image of Sir Edward Elgar as legal tender.

Instead, the only legal tender of 20 sterling notes, with the image of Adam Smith on, will only be acceptable.

I for one am sad to hear this news. As they slowly make our currency more and more similair to the Euros 'so it will not be much difference if we were to change'.

This is just a warning, though I would prefer to revert back to the old style notes as I hate these new looking ones.

QUOTE said:
About ten per cent of all £20 notes in circulation equating to 150 million notes, worth £3 billion are the old versions featuring the English composer. They were first introduced in June 1999 along with a view of the west face of Worcester Cathedral, replacing the previous series of notes featuring Michael Faraday, the physicist, and before that William Shakespeare.

Old notes will eventually be sent to one of the official Government incinerators, where they will burned alongside damaged notes. A small amount of thermoelectric power is generated by these sites, which also burn illegal tobacco seized by HM Revenue and Customs at British ports.

After June 1 if a bank or building society refuses to swap a note, consumers have the right to swap the notes at the Bank of England itself. The Bank promises that it will honour the face value of any note issued, even notes from before World War II.

So if you are late, the Bank of England themselves will still change them for you at face value.

I ask everyone to seriously consider this, and if you agree that the Euro is wrong, remember this. As all over European countries should revert back to their individual currencies.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
The keyword is "could"; the banks are rather good about it. I found an old style tenner in my house at the end of last year, took it to the bank and they still switched it for me even though those were discontinued in 2003. And the Bank of England you mentioned will always honour the exchange so it really isn't worth losing any sleep over.

I'll admit, I don't understand how this has got anything to do with to the Euro though. What have I missed?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
What do you have against the euro's? I think it's very usefull.
Since I do my shopping in Holland, where I live, in belgium and in germany, because they are close to where I live. And hey! I don't have to exchange money everytime I do! Wow! I'm going on vacation, in Italy! And I don't have to exchange my money!

So, what's so bad about it?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has nothing to with the Euro. The Bank of England takes most old currency from the last century.

I prefer if we didn't have that woman on our currency though, much better to have British figures who have done something worthwhile with their lives and made a change.

Don't get why people get so angry with our notes getting changed, you rather have old notes and have a shit load of fakes everywhere?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Hadriano said:
It has nothing to with the Euro. The Bank of England takes most old currency from the last century.

I prefer if we didn't have that woman on our currency though, much better to have British figures who have done something worthwhile with their lives and made a change.

We need a £20 with Sir Clive Sinclair on!

hope they never take Charles Darwin off the £10 though.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's true, and you make a good arguement.

It's just more of a subconcious thing that our money looks like Euro's, so if they were to get rid of sterling and change to the Euro it wouldn't be so much of a problem as they look the same.

The idea of Euro's is good in some respect's, I agree. But I love the idea of sovereignty with regards to currency. Each country having their own tender is the style of their country.

The idea of the Euro could just been one step closer to a whole one currency idea which pops up in the news every so often.

Plus if the Euro was to crash, think how many countries would be in trouble.

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all if the euro-using countries simultaneously failed to the point that the euro crashed, the world would have a much bigger problems than just what what design is printed on the little bits of trees that we hold so dear.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
How about... We all use New Zealand Money!
Yuuuuusss!

newzealand-185.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: