Calling all British, beware of your legal tender

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by kicknhorse, Mar 9, 2010.

1. kicknhorse
    OP

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have just heard some dire news. As of 30th June this year Banks and Shops could refuse to accept or exchange the old style £20 notes with the image of Sir Edward Elgar as legal tender.

Instead, the only legal tender of 20 sterling notes, with the image of Adam Smith on, will only be acceptable.

I for one am sad to hear this news. As they slowly make our currency more and more similair to the Euros 'so it will not be much difference if we were to change'.

This is just a warning, though I would prefer to revert back to the old style notes as I hate these new looking ones.

So if you are late, the Bank of England themselves will still change them for you at face value.

I ask everyone to seriously consider this, and if you agree that the Euro is wrong, remember this. As all over European countries should revert back to their individual currencies.

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    The keyword is "could"; the banks are rather good about it. I found an old style tenner in my house at the end of last year, took it to the bank and they still switched it for me even though those were discontinued in 2003. And the Bank of England you mentioned will always honour the exchange so it really isn't worth losing any sleep over.

I'll admit, I don't understand how this has got anything to do with to the Euro though. What have I missed?

3. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    What do you have against the euro's? I think it's very usefull.
    Since I do my shopping in Holland, where I live, in belgium and in germany, because they are close to where I live. And hey! I don't have to exchange money everytime I do! Wow! I'm going on vacation, in Italy! And I don't have to exchange my money!

So, what's so bad about it?

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    You know, I think I still have a few somewhere that have pictures of William Shakespeare on them.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It has nothing to with the Euro. The Bank of England takes most old currency from the last century.

I prefer if we didn't have that woman on our currency though, much better to have British figures who have done something worthwhile with their lives and made a change.

Don't get why people get so angry with our notes getting changed, you rather have old notes and have a shit load of fakes everywhere?

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    We need a £20 with Sir Clive Sinclair on!

hope they never take Charles Darwin off the £10 though.

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    They should put Paul & Barry Chuckle on bank notes for their services to British comedy and entertainment.

8. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's true, and you make a good arguement.

It's just more of a subconcious thing that our money looks like Euro's, so if they were to get rid of sterling and change to the Euro it wouldn't be so much of a problem as they look the same.

The idea of Euro's is good in some respect's, I agree. But I love the idea of sovereignty with regards to currency. Each country having their own tender is the style of their country.

The idea of the Euro could just been one step closer to a whole one currency idea which pops up in the news every so often.

Plus if the Euro was to crash, think how many countries would be in trouble.

9. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    That's a very good point. Thankfully, it'll be much harder for that to happen, considering the amount of countries using it.

10. o0ICE0o

Member o0ICE0o GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If all if the euro-using countries simultaneously failed to the point that the euro crashed, the world would have a much bigger problems than just what what design is printed on the little bits of trees that we hold so dear.

11. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    How about... We all use New Zealand Money!
    Yuuuuusss!

[​IMG]

12. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hahaha, wow. I love New Zealand notes! So colourful and so many nice birds

13. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I'm not too sure about the bird on the $20. She looks a bit old and wizened.

14. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    For a minute I thought you were talking about the new ones. [​IMG]

I don't have any old ones left now anyway.