OP
Trophies
Website
ispeelgood.trap17.com
XP
Country
Greece
QUOTE said:
Call of Duty 5 now has a fresh name and brand new details to go along with it. Officially known as Call of Duty: World at War, the new title will take place during World War II in the Pacific Theater.

Both Shacknews and CVG have various pieces of information on this new title. It is being developed for the PC, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo Wii systems. The Wii version of the game will make use of the same engine that powered Call of Duty 4 and will offer support for the Wii Zapper.

The sources for the articles (Games and OXM) indicate that there will be cooperative play included and will also include vehicles and squad-based gameplay for the multiplayer. The Xbox 360 version, in particular, will offer support for 4 player co-op over Live. The game is also set to take on a much darker feel than its predecessors, more so than some of Call of Duty 4's more notorious scenes.

The game is also said to be "gritty," with the opening scene showcasing a torture sequence in which a prisoner's eye is burned out with a cigarette before his throat is slit and "blood splatters and dribbles down the side of the tent you are being held in."

The team at Treyarch is also retooling the AI to better match the Japanese style of warfare. Enemies will now hide in trees, sneak through the overgrown vegetation, and come after you with "katana in hand [for] violent suicide attacks."

More details and screens can be found in the latest OXM which hits newsstands on June 13, unless you're a subscriber that already has their issue.

source: http://www.csnation.net/viewnews.php/9652/

The part that made me ecstatic was this:
QUOTEThe Wii version of the game will make use of the same engine that powered Call of Duty 4 and will offer support for the Wii Zapper.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the wii even powerful enough to pull of such good graphics??
blink.gif
Dunno sounds fishy to me...

Anyways kinda bummed out about them making yet another world war II game. Hopefully they'll do enough new to make it feel fresh.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
The Wii version of the game will make use of the same engine that powered Call of Duty 4 and will offer support for the Wii Zapper.

Really.. HOW?
wtf.gif

Anyway, the game is not being made by Infinite Ward (CoD4), but by Treyarch that made CoD3.. so.. don't expect too much
tongue.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The engine will OBVIOUSLY be modified.

And great, COD4 was absolutely fantastic and now the series gets dragged right back to WW2. Screw this.

leonheart_a

Trophies
XP
Country
How could they drag it back to the past again?! How stupid is that. Being in a different time is what made CoD 4 better imo. Im sick to death of all these world war games. Dont we have enough of them?!

neveras

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a completely different team working on this Call of Duty.
Long story short, while they guys we're working on COD 4 another team was hard at work on 5.
Just because one team decided to take a new direction, doesn't mean the other shared the same views.
By the time the 4th one came out and everything thought it was awesome that they we're moving away from WW2 they we're all knee deep in making COD 5 anyway.

Who knows, maybe the COD 4 team is hard at work at a modern sequel to 4.

Maverick_z

When did i join again??
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AshuraZero said:
The engine will OBVIOUSLY be modified.

And great, COD4 was absolutely fantastic and now the series gets dragged right back to WW2. Screw this.

yeah well at least its not placed WW2 Europe

Grovel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am kind of bummed that it is going to be in a WWII setting, but maybe it will still be as good as CoD4.

K

KaliKot

I read somewhere that there was to be "alien-like" enemies which is....wtf

Yawn more ww2 games, but im looking forward to how the COD4 engine on Wii looks like

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Enemies will now hide in trees, sneak through the overgrown vegetation, and come after you with "katana in hand [for] violent suicide attacks.
I wonder if that's gonna be like the dog thing in in CoD4 where they jump out at you can get a 1 hit kill. I hate those dogs now.
cry.gif

I can't wait to try this game since the Wii version has the CoD4 engine apparently. I don't really care how bad people think it is gonna be... I think I'll rent it first though.

QUOTE said:
World at War will sport cooperative play--a series first--as well as include vehicles and squad-based elements in multiplayer.
I was about to celebrate when I saw this...

Excitingly, for the first time in Call of Duty's campaign 4-player co-op is supported over Xbox Live - and it supports meta game perks as in CoD4's excellent online mode.
Darn.

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd heard that the CoD4 people recently became the only CoD dev for every game in the future (meaning games released past now, not games that happen with aliens and crap) except CoD5, because it's already being made.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Gman 101 said:
CoD4 engine on Wii? Sorry to say this but I don't think this'll be possible unless you have the engine modified so heavily that it looks like CoD:UO. That's basically stepping back to the Unreal 2.5 engine. Sounds good eh?

Of course it'll be heavily modified. It's not like the Wii version will look like the PS360 versions.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Why go back to being a WWII shooter? The whole genre is so lame now. COD4 was brilliant. I was hoping for something a bit more futuristic yet still well done.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty interested to see what they would do with the Pacific Theater setting. And I wonder if they would do Pearl Harbor. Or maybe we'll be the bomber that dropped the bomb. Pretty scary stuff. I really wonder if they'll do any of these. It might spark some more controversy though. Wii Zapper+Pearl Harbor+Bomb+Violent scenes=VERY VERY Angry Parents?
Who said this can't be a new game? It's still WW2, but not in Europe. There will be the Chinese, Australians, United States, New Zealand? and such. And it will be in an entirely new environment. A whole lot of bamboo and foliage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?