Call of Duty: World at War (CoD: WaW) Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by hillbilly, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008
  1. hillbilly
    OP

Newcomer hillbilly Member

United States
    –Call of Duty: World at War (CoD: WaW) DS Review by hillbilly–
    [​IMG]
    If you know any American Western movies, then Clint Eastwood might call Call of Duty: World at War “The good, the bad, and the ugly.” But, for me the game delivered a high-paced, action-packed, thrilling atmosphere that most games are missing now-a-days. The fact is though, that there were some flaws in the game, even though it still is a great game.
    Initial thoughts​
    I’ll be honest, when I first saw CoD: WaW for the DS, I was immediately in love with the idea of the game (even though the idea isn’t new). My first thought was “Oh, it’s a poor man’s Metroid Prime Hunters but set in World War II." Next, I saw the WIFI logo at the upper left-hand corner of the box and was overwhelmed; War game + WIFI = one happy hillbilly! I bought it with no consideration at all. Upon opening the game, I then realized that the cartridge featured no art really on it. Now, this isn’t a big deal to me but it’s nice to show off sometimes. Other than that, it came with a not so great (little) book of controls and features. Also within the game’s package, is a WIFI connection instruction booklet, and a health and safety precautions booklet. All of which I had no need for (as usual with any game I get); I regularly learn the controls within the first level anyway. Then, it was on to the game itself!
    Gameplay​
    [​IMG]
    The game itself features a diverse campaign with a lot of levels that keep you guessing and wanting to play. I started the game and to my delight, I saw a nice little icon that looked like a preview for what was to come. The splash screens show up and two minutes later, when all the logos and brands and warnings go away, the game finally goes to the main menu where you here some pleasing background music, but it almost fades away after around one or two minutes and your left with a dull menu sulking with the luring sounds of creaking (?) repeated over and over in the background. I didn’t think too much about that right away as I wanted to pick and get into the action right away. I double clicked on the ‘single player’ button but it didn’t go until the third attempt. Finally, after a long-awaited debut, I tried out the campaign. To say the least, I’m a DS programmer, so I know the DS’s capabilities and didn’t expect the greatest of 3D graphics. Needless to say, I was shocked! I found myself playing the campaign for hours on end and refusing to put it down, sometimes not even eating. The missions keep you alert and ready for all heck to break loose.
    WIFI​

[​IMG]
    What can I say? WIFI on Call of Duty: World at War is amazing, and that might be an understatement. I couldn’t keep myself from playing it with some of my buddies for 10 straight games in a row without even thinking about how long I’ve been playing. Although some parts of WIFI seem weak such as characters sometimes blending in with environments and/or a tad bit of LAG, the overall impact of the WIFI feature on a classic war game makes you ecstatic. I hadn’t played WIFI in a few months on the DS because, simply, I didn’t have a good reason to pick up my DS and play an online game anymore. I was bored before CoD: WaW’s WIFI came along.
    Conclusion​

All in all, Call of Duty: World at War is a great game to pick up and play if you are or aren’t bored. If I had to rate the game itself, I’d ive it an overall score of 9.5/10
    . (The minor little missing features and bugs decreased the value by one-half.) But, nevertheless, it is an absolute must for any gamer’s collection and should be bought right away. If you need a great game to play, the pick it up and have some fun! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Images from IGN.

2. SpikeyBryan

Member SpikeyBryan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is it me? Or does no one play on wifi very often, D: