Call of Duty moves to 3 year development cycle

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Call of Duty, like it, hate it, or believe it to be everything wrong with gaming, is a juggernaut of a franchise. Activision has maintained the franchise's annual releases, and Scrooge McDuckian pool of money, for the past few years by alternating between two studios, Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

This is a new generation, however, and new generations call for bold, new strategies, like... addition.

:arrow:CVG

Well, after the icy reception Ghosts received, I can't exactly blame them for the stall of "Duty." It is bit of a shame, though. Those looking forward to the next Treyarch installment will have to wait until at least 2015.

Is this move a reflection of the increased difficulty that formerly-next, now-current generation development begins? Is there a genuine desire to ensure polish and quality (along with DLC, of course) here? Both? Neither? Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions when the average GBAtemp user doesn't care one way or the other?

Hopefully we'll have some sort of answer by the end of 2014, when Call of Duty receives the Gallagher treatment.

2. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Actually that's the best news I heard all day. Now COD hopefully will truly feel like a breath of fresh air for future releases, I hope.

xcrimsonstormx likes this.
  3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Can't they atleast have a year gap to improve the engine?

4. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    as the writer pointed out, this may be more a result of higher development costs of next ten than it is an effort to improve quality, depth, or originality of the titles themselves. in which case this is grim news.

on the other hand its nice that cod is stepping up to the plate. if cod began to fail it might have been the last peg needed to cause a gaming crash.

5. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Sure, just during that year there will ALSO be another studio working on another game :P

6. Red_Savarin

Red_Savarin Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    Every year you pay for the same game with different maps, i'am owner of MW3 and BO2 and didn't give a damn the new one...
    People got bored of always same type of play, and in the ghost one what do you get different, here have a dog! And wait there is more! You can be a chick too and instead of zombies you get aliens...

I think this is good to the franshise, it did get saturated in this last years, so people didn't buy ghost pretty much because of the same repetition every year.

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Maybe this will improve the game.
    I honestly don't think so but hey, can't hurt to hope a little?

8. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Does this mean more time to make wii u DLC? :ph34r:
    & leave ps3/360 in the past?

9. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    When I read the title I was like 'YES FINALLY NO MORE YEARLY COD RELEASE!!!'

Now I am like 'no shit has changed'.

One of the most overhyped franchises I guess, together with a few others.

RchUncleSkeleton likes this.
  10. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Well they did actually try to do this before, Sledgehammer was working on a 3rd person CoD game but it was cancelled as Activision thought people wanted another Modern Warfare instead. Of course Sledgehammer did work with IW on the campaign for MW3.

Chances are this is the introduction of a new engine, they've been heavily recruiting new staff with the emphasis of working on a new next gen engine.

Another thing is that I am pleased that there is an added developer, I really like what Treyarch do, I enjoyed Black Ops 2 a fair bit as it actually had a good story and the new additions to gameplay worked however it was clear that they needed another year to make it better...hopefully Treyarch will finally get that chance. Infinity Ward however...their CoD games tend to be worse and Ghosts was definitely a step behind after Black Ops 2, so damn mediocre it hurt.

So far it sounds like the 360/PS3 are being skipped for this years release though I'm sure Activision will get Treyarch to do a quick port (like with the Wii/Wii U ports though I don't expect any Wii U this year) , Activision love the cash.

11. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    3 year cycle don't mean a damn thing when you have 3 studios working to push out yearly versions. Call of Duty is the most oversaturated franchise in gaming today. It's all the lame brains of the world who keep activision with a hefty profit margin by buying these rehashed excuses for new games year after year. I'm pretty sure intelligence and logic are both in decline as all you see these days are sheep following the masses.

12. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
    We'll see.

But the probability of COD's quality improving, at the cost of no new game every year (much MUCH money down the drain), is slim at best.

I have my doubts.

In other words, they had opportunities to improve their game, instead of re-lauching the same crap over and over again.

But it sells. Crap or not, the name alone sells. No need to improve that much. (to their eyes)

13. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    What Call of Duty and Battlefield both need is more optimized netcode. They're running off of incredibly old and heavily modified engine code, and that is what causes all the grief in Call of Duty and in Battlefield. After all, you can never really tell if you were simply outplayed, or if the opponent simply had a better connection/lag compensation. This 3 year development cycle isn't going to make things better as long as the old styled code is iterized.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  14. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    I am surprised they aren't keeping the 1 year development cycle and just change the name of the series. Like how Bravely Default is essentially a Final Fantasy game, but they want to disassociate that franchise with their newer titles because of all the baggage.

15. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    They can go 30 years, every new game will still be lame.

16. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    Same shit, different year.

natkoden likes this.
  17. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    and the amount of fucks I give is.... 0

18. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I just play cod for zombies I loves it.
    ZOMBIES IS EVERY THING
    ZOMBIES IS LIFE
    :bow:

19. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    FPS games need to go extinct .

20. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    2014 - Treyarch
    2015 - Sledge
    2016 - IW

In the past:

2011 - IW
    2012 - Treyarch
    2013 - IW
    Rinse and repeat

Changes? Yes, we will have another shitty version of the game developed by another shitty studio!

Hero-Link likes this.