Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Leo Cantus, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010
  1. Leo Cantus
    OP

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Firstly, I would just like to mention this is my first review, please give me feedback - negative or positivie. I am not going to give each area of the game a score - graphics - 9 etc like Guild. I am going to weigh up the good and bad to give an overall percentage score.

So, Modern Warfare 2 - a very popular game. On my XMB friends list everyone is playing it. But is it worth your £50 (rrp) or is it over hyped garbage?

Lets talk about the story mode. The events continue from CoD 4, so if you havent played that it is unlikely that you will follow whats going on. The basic outline is between a war with America and Russia and you play several people. There isnt one real main protaganist. You hardly know anything about some of the characters you play, so when anything happens to them, bad or good, you dont really care. It would have been nice if Infinity Ward gave a little background on them. The campaign is great fun, a nice variety of missions, lots of effects, explosions. You can drive tanks, do a bit of sneaking around, or be in a full scale war. So the campaign is great, while it lasts. Honestly, it took me 4 hours to complete the game. I was having a lot of fun playing through, then bang its over and the credits roll. Really dissapointing. They raised the price of the game but its hard to justify it when the story mode is this short. On average I reckon a game should last at least 8-9 hours.

Gameplay is very good. Smooth controls, a variety of weapons. Graphically its decent. Nothing special, but not bad either. Presentation is nice, clear menus. Another really cool touch is that you can join online games straight from the xmb as long as the disc is in your system.

Spec Ops is a new mode that they have introduced. It consists of 50 missions, obviously harder as you go along. There are missions from sneaking through a snowey mountain with a silenced sniper, to using riot shields to control crowds. However, only top players will be able to get to the higher missions (delta) on their own. If like me your average, or pretty bad your gonna want to bring a patner along. Split screen is fine, but online can get laggy.

Multiplayer, the biggest aspect of the game - in defence to the games short story, MW2 is a multiplayer game. I had high expectations going into it. There are lots of game modes, countless guns and lots of levelling, you will defintely be addicted for a while. Killstreaks, perks, big maps, co op, boosting, its all here. Its definitely fun while it lasts. The only negative things about the multiplayer? Before the game was released, experienced players were getting annoyed at the "deathstreaks". But there isnt anything to worry about. If this is your first Cod Game like me, then when you first play online it will be pretty tough... IW said these deathstreaks will help the balance a little... well it doesn't. There's one that gets you extra health for 10 seconds, 10 seconds! Your probably not gonna see anyone for the first 10secs of respawning. Martydom is okay, live grenade when you die. But these are nothing, its like putting on shinpads while the other players are calling in armed helicopters from the sky. Also, this game is literally plagued with glitches and hacks. Leveling up hacks, unlimited ammo, run through walls etc. Just search modern warfare 2 hacks in youtube and you'll see what I mean.

OVERALL:

Modern Warfare 2 is a top FPS. Thankfully, the short - while very fast paced actioned campaign mode is saved by an addicting multiplayer mode. Spec Ops is also great fun with friends, even if its no Nazi Zombies.
    - Spec Ops is great with some mates around
    - Massive multiplayer mode is superb
    - Thrilling campaign....

- but too short
    - lots of online glitches and hacks.

85%

Next review... Assassin's Creed II

2. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    Yeah, I dunno about CoD and their Campaigns. They are short in every game. I think they only focus on Multiplayer and Achivements sometimes.

I like your review style. You should do some more reviews on Xbox games. We need them.

3. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks! I wanted to bring something fresh to the table. I got inspiration from Guild's reviews but decided to use a different style.
    Btw, I only have a PS3. But yeah I am basically doing console reviews I just wont be able to do 360 exclusives. Appreciate the feedback [​IMG]

4. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Nice review. [​IMG]

I for one am in a clan here at GBATemp for the Wii version of COD 4, so I don't play MW 2. [​IMG] Good to know there is more stuff in MW 2 though.

5. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks
    yeah ive played cod 4 on the wii its pretty good

6. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Nice review, I can't believe this is your first time!

I agree with the score, too. Really fun, but there's way too many hacks and the story's too short.

7. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Pretty basic, try to talk about more stuff in depth.

8. Leo Cantus
    OP

United Kingdom
    thats just the style of my reviews, pretty short and basic, but to the point.

9. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Like me.

Seems like Luke's on the Guild side [​IMG]