Call of Duty: Declassified for the Vita is horrible

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Valwin, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Valwin
    OP

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States

Source

Reviews

2. emigre
    This message by emigre has been removed from public view by raulpica, Nov 18, 2012.
    Nov 15, 2012

3. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I want this game to be good, but I am not even considering getting it unless they have a demo on the PSN store so I can try it out first.

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Precautionary note: If you guys don't bitch about how this thread won't turn out good, it'll turn out just fine. So yeah, don't start.

Yeah, Declassified looked like shit from the very moment it was announced. Word is that Activision wasn't even going to make a COD game for the Vita until Sony actually pushed for it (and apparently is funding it).

But in related news, 3DS outsells Vita 47-to-1 in Japan

xwatchmanx and Arm73 like this.
  5. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Please stay civil.
    Warns will be given out like candy on Halloween otherwise.

---

Is the game really that awful? Don't suppose anyone has had hands on time to comment on either side.

6. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Taking a console/pc game, and putting it on any handheld is just terrible. My proof; Call of Duty games on DS.

the_randomizer likes this.
  7. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    This game was destined to fail.
    Yet another failure for Nihilistic, or should I say "nStigate Games".

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Declassified > N-Space CoD

/thread

Seriously though, I don't know what exactly people expected from a Call of Duty game on a mobile platform - of course it won't be the home console experience, I'm not sure it's even supposed to be the home console experience. I'm yet to try it out, but seeing that I'm getting a Vita this December, I will soon enough. Until then, I reserve my judgement.

9. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Well, they did CoD on the Wii pretty decently (from what I hear anyway, was basically the same game with incredibly scaled down graphics?) so one would figure a Vita version wouldn't be too terrible.

GameWinner likes this.
  10. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    Vita, Sony sure as hell picked a bad console to call "Life".

ekko25, gamefan5 and Giggtysword344 like this.
  11. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    I think most people tracking the news about the game knew it suck.
    • 4v4 MP game
    • Not focused on single player
    • No zombies
    • Had issues making the game
    • The developer is mediocre
    • Trailer in general

Rasas likes this.
  12. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    This. They could have just ported over the Wii CoD and it still would have been better than Declassified.

13. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I still fail to see how 4 vs 4 multiplayer is a bad thing on a mobile platform on which you usually don't have a lot of time for a long match anyways, especially if the maps were specifically designed size-wise to accomodate that amount of player - but hey! That's just me.

14. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Yeah but the company that made this game is just terrible, anything could have been better than this though.

15. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Your original comment was dumb so I fixed it for you.

In the right hands this could have been good, however obviously Activision didn't see that getting a good company and spending money on a Vita only game was good business sense regardless of funding from Sony. Just because something is on a handheld doesn't mean it'll be terrible.

16. Devin

United States
    You show me a good shooter on a handheld officially ported from a console or PC, on the DS/3DS/PSP/Vita and I will agree with you.

On paper a console game on a handheld system is wonderful, but if it is executed poorly. Which it has been for a while. It will end up like this, and a lot of other failed games.

17. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I heard that it was strongly rumored that the studio that worked on this was heavily rushed, something like around a month or two of work before everything had to be finalized. Not sure if that's true but, judging by the negative reviews across the board, it doesn't seem that far off.

18. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Huh. I have to wonder, though; maybe with some more development time, it could have been de-assified.

ekko25, Hyro-Sama, KingVamp and 3 others like this.
  19. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    You didn't say ported originally and I had no reason to why you meant that what with this thread being about a game specifically built for the Vita and not a port.

Just of the top of my head examples of good 3D shooters that have worked well:
    DS: Dementium 1 & 2, Metroid Prime:Hunters (if it didn't have Metroid in the title then this would be more liked), Brothers In Arms, some would say the CoD games were good but to me they were competent at best and awful at worse but again with effort these could have been better.
    PSP: Medal of Honor: Heroes 1&2, SOCOM, Chili Con Carnage, Resistance: Retribution, some say CoD: Roads to Victory but I never took a linking to it. There's a number of PSP titles actually that were ported from PS2 but I forget the names...also many PSX titles could probably count.

Of course this is down to personal taste some may not be great but you didn't say great just good and these games did well considering the limitations. My point being that the Vita could easily do console quality shooters if a developer had a chance. Your comment "Taking a console/pc game, and putting it on any handheld is just terrible" to me states that in your eyes, that no handheld is capable of a good FPS game port or otherwise.

soulx likes this.
  20. Devin

United States
    I agree with you on SOCOM, so you've proven me wrong. In my edit you'll see my true take on it. I suppose I was incorrect in terms of insinuating that this game is a port. I suppose I really meant the Call of Duty franchise in whole is so far, only good on consoles/PC. Port is the wrong word. With the gameplay style, and overall feel of a CoD game really doesn't feel like it'd work with a handheld no matter who is developing it. If there's ever a good CoD game on a handheld, my opinion will change. However for now, that's my view.

Edit: I was a little presumptuous in bringing in all shooters, and I apologize for that.

21. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    Oh no's, what about the soon to be released Wii U's game pad, that could almost be considered a handheld. Black Ops 2 better not suck nuts on that.