Call of Duty Black Ops wants to do system update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by garbin, Oct 3, 2013.

1. garbin
    OP

garbin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2012
    Hi

I just bought a copy of Call of Duty Black Ops and it asks me to do a system update, which I know is a big no-no for my soft-modded Wii. Is there anyway I can run this game without screwing up my nicely set up Wii?

Cheers
    Garbin

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I think you can run it through Gecko OS without having to update. Alternatively you can install priiloader and block all disc updates.

3. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    If you have Priiloader installed, start the wii holding the reset button, Priiloader will start, go to System Menu hacks, then set ''Block Disc Updates'' to 'enabled', click on save settings, launch the system menu and see if the message for update was gone

Or you can launch your retail disc from loaders like Gecko OS, Riivolution, Neogamma, to avoid updates or even Usb Loaders

Or make a backup from your retail disc and run this from a flash drive, sd card or HDD with a Usb Loader

4. garbin
    OP

garbin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2012
    D'oh, you learn something new every day! I didn't realise loading from my USB loader would bypass the system update request. Thanks guys

Garbin

5. garbin
    OP

garbin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2012
    Apologies for my paranoia but when trying to go to on-line mode with this game it asks to do a game update - will this fubar my modded Wii?

6. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    No the game online update is perfectly safe it just updates in game stuff and does nothing to your Wii.

7. Nerdron22

Nerdron22 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro
    Hi,i have a little problem, i use the cfg loader to play my games, my wii can't enter the wii shop because it isn't updated.So i need to download an update from the wii shop to play MW3, how do i download this file without the wii shop? (i'm aware that the update it's just like a save file so it wouldn't have any problem)

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can use something like ModMii to install the latest version of the Wii Shop Channel and the IOS files it uses without having to run an online update on your Wii and mess up your softmod.

9. Nerdron22

Nerdron22 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro
    And how do i do that? (i'm very noob)

10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    You can click yes and then hold the power button down until your Wii shuts down. It shouldn't give you a problem after that.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
  12. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    donkey kong country returns did the same thing to me. i ripped the game to my hdd with usb loader gx and when i went to play the game it runs without asking to update

13. DrePwns

DrePwns Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2013
    What firmware are you on at the moment? If you're on 4.3 at the moment, you'll be happy to know that this will only be a minor update (such as: Wii Shop Channel etc). Though I suggest you install a USB loader or PriiLoader to block disk updates. Remember, DON'T DOWNGRADE YOUR WII SYSTEM.

14. lastninjagaijin

lastninjagaijin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2013

I hope this isn't hijacking but do ALL game updates for online play not do any damage?

Or is this just regarding this specific update for CODBLOPS?

Interested to know if potential game updates are safe .. I have blocked updates in priiloader but if they come like this is supposed to for CODBLOPS, for other titles, can I safely install them all or is it different for each title? ie do some do system updates?

15. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    well not sure about EVERY game but i know about this game particular but because its in game update and not system menu update then you should be fine.

16. lastninjagaijin

lastninjagaijin Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2013

Hmm - I will approach in game updates with caution too then :)

17. garbin
    OP

garbin Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2012
    Just for completeness I should say that the game update worked fine and didn't affect the hacked status of my Wii one bit. Thanks BlackWizzard17