- achievements system
- replay through past missions with Arcade and Challenge Modes
- pilot attack helicopters and stealth fighter jets
- play as CIA-backed operatives
- complimentary to console versions
- built on the same tech as previous CoD DS games
- new User Interface
- new Button Control scheme
- faster and more intuitive user interface for accessing weapons and basic actions
- tap the icon to swap out for the new weapon
- drag and drop the weapon onto an inactive button
- button control: move and shoot using only the ABXY buttons, Control Pad, and shoulder buttons
- ADS button to look down-sight
- Auto-Lock feature for Recruit and Regular difficulties
- customizable controls
- liberal use of sniper rifle and shotguns
- crosshairs and recoil tweaked
- throwing knife mechanic

call-of-duty-black-ops-20100727112025616.jpg
call-of-duty-black-ops-20100727112023569.jpg

call-of-duty-black-ops-20100727112027507.jpg

Interview:
IGN: So, Call of Duty: Black Ops for DS. This isn't getting a spin-off brand like last year's Call of Duty: Mobilized? Does that mean a similar console experience on the handheld?

n-Space: Call of Duty: Black Ops for the DS is a companion product to the 360/PS3/PC/Wii versions that put gamers in the boots of CIA-backed operatives that are dropped into the shadowy world of deniable operations with an expansive arsenal of weapons at their disposal. Its storyline and missions are meant to provide a different perspective and fill in the overall story. In the end, Call of Duty: Black Ops for the DS provides a great new Call of Duty experience for players that have one of the other versions as well as players who only decide to pick up the DS version.

IGN: Is this using a new engine or is it utilizing similar tech that went into the previous Call of Duty games?

n-Space: The game was built on same great technology as our previous Call of Duty games, but, as with each game, we dig in deep to optimize, revise, and add more capabilities to our tech to push the system and provide a better game for players. For Black Ops, we spent a good deal of time during development communicating with the fans of the previous games through various forums, learning what they liked, disliked, and truly wished for in a follow-up . We also took on the same players in a series of online matches, directly learning how they played the game. We used that collected feedback to help build the features for Black Ops.

IGN: What sort of advancements or improvements is this game getting over last year's Mobilized?

n-Space: We've made a great number of improvements, but two of the biggest changes are a new User Interface and a brand-new Button Control scheme.

The User Interface has evolved with each Call of Duty game we've released, and this time we started with the goal to create a system that was faster and more intuitive when it came to accessing weapons and basic actions. For example, when picking up a dropped weapon in Black Ops, the player can simply tap the icon to swap out for the new weapon like past games – or drag and drop the weapon onto an inactive button, adding it to their inventory without replacing the weapon they're currently using.

As for the Button Control scheme, we wanted to develop an alternative to the stylus-based controls we first pioneered with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare DS. The stylus approach is perfectly natural for many players, and provides mouse-like speed and accuracy, but we also understand that some players find this method of using the stylus, Control Pad, and shoulder buttons uncomfortable over a period of time. The new Button Controls option allow those players to move and shoot using only the ABXY buttons, Control Pad, and shoulder buttons, keeping both hands firmly on the DS. We include a number of customization options so that players can tune that experience to their complete satisfaction. This is a classic Call of Duty style control scheme that features an ADS button to look down-sight, an Auto-Lock feature for Recruit and Regular difficulties, and precise camera controls for improved accuracy.

Aside from advancements in controls and UI, we made improvements across the board based on feedback from fans and the internal development team. This impacted everything from weapon selection and tuning to multiplayer map scale and variety. A couple of examples to whet some appetites: Fans wanted to see more use of specific weapons like the sniper rifle and shotguns, so we added liberal use of both throughout the game. Or when we saw repeated feedback about the way the crosshairs and recoil worked in Mobilized, we took it to heart and tweaked those systems accordingly.
Major improvements and additions were made to multiplayer as well, but we can't get into too much detail just yet. One thing we can confirm is (by popular request) the addition of a Perks system modeled after the console games. We're proud to say that the team is raising the bar for the first-person, multiplayer experience on DS with Black Ops.

Last but not least, we added a unique co-op experience that is completely separate from Single Player campaign! We can't talk about that much more but there will be more info coming out as we get closer to release.

IGN: This is being developed side-by-side with another Activision FPS, GoldenEye. Anything sprout up in GoldenEye's development that inspired anything in Call of Duty: Black Ops?

n-Space: It's funny because the design and production staff for both teams actually work in the same room. Even though we're on completely separate projects with distinctly separate goals, we do play each other's games a good deal during development and openly discuss what we see and what we like or dislike. We think this free exchange of ideas and feedback has definitely benefited both teams. As far as specific features go, we try to stay at arm's length and not appropriate their ideas, but we did "pay homage to" their throwing knife mechanic!

IGN: So how about that 3DS, huh? Ready to hunker down and develop on that?

n-Space: The word most often used to describe the 3DS by those fortunate enough to experience it at E3 is "magical." We feel this is completely justified and that it's a home run for Nintendo and for developers like n-Space that have been dedicated supporters for many years.

IGN: Speaking of developing on the 3DS, do you see there being an extended transitional shift between the DS and 3DS in the same way there was with the Game Boy Advance to Nintendo DS? Or do you see developers dropping DS like a hot potato in favor of Nintendo's new console?

n-Space: As with any new system, the types and number of games are really going to depend on the reaction of the gaming public. The DS has a tremendous installed base and the backward compatibility of the 3DS will definitely make the DS format viable for years to come. Like in previous platform transitions (think PS2), I expect to see an ongoing market for DS games, with their budgets and retail prices decreasing as leading developers move quickly to the new platform.

IGN: What's next after Call of Duty for N-Space?

n-Space: The Call of Duty team is probably going to sleep for a few weeks.

D

Deleted_171835

I actually liked Call of Duty Modern Warfare: Mobilized.
It was a good game. I loved the gameplay. It was addictive.
This looks good. Not graphics-wise but through gameplay.

Shouldn't this be on the front page?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
The other CoD DS games were pretty good but they cramp the fuck out of your hands. It's the main thing that's put me off from really finishing all of them.
That's why I have a DSi XL: Less hand cramping.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Doesn't look too bad, but why do those developers always seem to think that jamming loads of crap on the touch screen is any good? I mean, what the hell? Two different buttons for guns, a grenade button, a zoom button, a stick (?) button, a mini map, a timer, the number of bullets in your gun and the number of bullets in stock, a return button (or something like that, it looks like it at least) AND another black bar that doesn't seem to serve any purpose... If you ask me, that's a perfect example of overkill.

Bowler67

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks great tbh. Bad thing about the last COD for the DS was the lag when the enemies would come out behind doors/walls. Hope that is fixed in this version. Not to mention the online was a bit horrible. Small maps etc.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Meh, although they tout all these new features, I doubt it'll be THAT much of an improvement from the first few DS Call of Duty games. Which isn't to say that the previous ones weren't bad or anything, but unless it turns out phenomenal, I doubt it'll be worth getting.

I'll remain optimistic, though.

Nahh.

CrazyPuzzler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Finally.
My stepfather has been asking me for over three months now when I will put a new FPS on his DS, since he has already played all the FPSs that are already available. Now I can finally still his hunger for crappy FPSs.
toot.gif

Also, since when -check the map on the second screenshot- is CoD about killing cherries?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel said:
RupeeClock said:
For a title like this, they should've waited for the 3DS, they really should.

Next CoD will be on 3DS then, don't worry about it .
Or maybe on both. With the transition from GBA to NDS, a lot of titles were released on both systems. Another Call of Duty title for the DS wouldn't surprise me.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maikel Steneker said:
Satangel said:
RupeeClock said:
For a title like this, they should've waited for the 3DS, they really should.
Next CoD will be on 3DS then, don't worry about it .
Or maybe on both. With the transition from GBA to NDS, a lot of titles were released on both systems. Another Call of Duty title for the DS wouldn't surprise me.
Seeing the franchise is popular enough to let them milk it dry, they will keep releasing games for all consoles and handhelds (although I'm not sure if there are any for the PSP) until said console/handheld is completely dead.

And even then they might still make games for it only to never release them.

J/k.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
Nah, this looks just as bad as the other CoD DS games. They sucked balls. Rubbish controls, hard gameplay. Much prefer the 360 versions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8 +1