Call of Cthulhu E3 trailer

Here is Cyanide studios with the E3 trailer for Call of Cthulhu. Full press release below.

The E3 trailer for Call of Cthulhu, the official video game adaptation of Chaosium's pen & paper RPG, rises from the depths. Developed for consoles and PC by Cyanide Studio in Paris, Call of Cthulhu will offer an RPG-Investigation title, packed with psychological horror and stealth mechanics. Cyanide Studio brings to life a disturbing world that players will have to explore and investigate while Cthulhu, the Great Dreamer, prepares its awakening. Today's E3 Trailer offers but a glimpse at all that awaits you.

In Call of Cthulhu, players will control Edward Pierce, a former veteran and private investigator in 1920s Boston. Pierce will be investigating the tragic and mysterious death of Sarah Hawkins and her family in Darkwater Island. The game's E3 Trailer showcases this disturbing Island and the eerie Hawkins Family Mansion, and gives a glimpse at how the intensity of the investigation will slowly start chipping away at your Sanity.

Insanity and the Cthulhu Mythos have long been entwined - as your investigation brings you closer to Cthulhu's sphere of influence, madness will progressively engulf your senses, leaving you to increasingly question what is real and what is illusory. They say that madness is the only way that can bring you to the truth and you will have to balance your sanity against your determination to discover it!

The Cthulhu Mythos has grown to become one of the largest shared universes ever envisioned, giving birth to countless stories, novels, and even movies ever since the original publication of Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu.

Call of Cthulhu will release in 2017 on consoles and PC

:arrow:Call of Cthulhu Official Site

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Ya I'm wondering if this will be like the Sherlock Holmes games but in Cthulhu setting. I loved Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth but I'm not expecting that type of game from this.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love H.P. Lovecraft also! Can't wait to run it on my crappy desktop!

One of my favorite writers, stories are pretty unsettling. Too bad he died thinking he was a failure as a writer.

Ya I'm wondering if this will be like the Sherlock Holmes games but in Cthulhu setting. I loved Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth but I'm not expecting that type of game from this.

Yeah, seems like its gonna be like puzzles and such. Makes me think of Eternal Darkness with the style and overall feel from the trailer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Making a Call of Cthulhu game requires a termendous amount of effort. It's difficult to build gameplay around enemies that you can't kill. According to the proper lore, just looking at Cthulhu results in immediate insanity, let alone interacting with him, and other mythos creatures aren't far behind in that respect. The whole universe revolves around the idea of delaying the inevitable - you can't "win" against the "Old Ones", and gamers are mentally trained to "win" - it's hard to reconcile these two things. Even in normal real-life RPG the Cthulhu campaigns are where characters go to die - that's the whole point. With all that in mind, just seeing games in the Cthulhu universe is interesting. Recommended listen:

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Making a Call of Cthulhu game requires a termendous amount of effort. It's difficult to build gameplay around enemies that you can't kill. According to the proper lore, just looking at Cthulhu results in immediate insanity, let alone interacting with him, and other mythos creatures aren't far behind in that respect. The whole universe revolves around the idea of delaying the inevitable - you can't "win" against the "Old Ones", and gamers are mentally trained to "win" - it's hard to reconcile these two things. Even in normal real-life RPG the Cthulhu campaigns are where characters go to die - that's the whole point. With all that in mind, just seeing games in the Cthulhu universe is interesting. Recommended listen:

That's A very nice point. I will look forward to the release.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never read anything from lovecraft, but I'm always intrigued by this "Call of Cthulhu" series and related games/book/other media.

The game looks like a new Eternal darkness episode!
Will it be like the Eternal Darkness (third person action adventure) or more like static point and click games?

Reactions: Shadowfied

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I never read anything from lovecraft, but I'm always intrigued by this "Call of Cthulhu" series and related games/book/other media.

The game looks like a new Eternal darkness episode!
Will it be like the Eternal Darkness (third person action adventure) or more like static point and click games?
Eternal Darkness draws a lot of inspiration from Lovecraft, yes. If you like one, chances are you'll like the other. The Cthulhu mythos is oriented around characters slowly losing sanity due to exposure to the creatures they face, so it's literally the same mechanic as in ED.

Reactions: Cyan

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This trailer looks interesting enough to make me play the game again. Overall, I liked the original and I got excited when I heard they were making a new version of it. So far the trailer is pretty faithful to the original.

Edit: Found out it isn't really a remake of DCotE.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Luglige

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
This trailer looks interesting enough to make me play the game again. Overall, I liked the original and I got excited when I heard they were making a new version of it. So far the trailer is pretty faithful to the original.
Wait, what? What are you referring to as the "original"? DCotE? I thought this had nothing to do with that..

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, what? What are you referring to as the "original"? DCotE? I thought this had nothing to do with that..
I don't know if you've played it, but this is very familiar to one of the opening scenes in the beginning. Plus, I remember back when the game was announced I saw renders done for this game and I felt they were just graphical updates to ones in DCotE.

Still, they are based on the same novell/fiction so that could also be the reason for the similarities, and therefore not because this is an update or remake for modern audiences.

They seem to be going for a more horror-ish atmosphere, and actually what kinda let me down on the last one was how it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. It was more like an Action-horror-fps, that is with emphasis on action.

Edit: After reading another article I see that it's based of the rpg, which also DCotE was based of, partly. That would explain the similarities. Anyways, this gives you more of a reason to play ot even if you've played DCotE

Here's the article:
https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/26/first-call-of-cthulhu-screenshots-are-rather-dark-and-ominous/

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning