SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
2010 is almost done, and over the course of 10 months...I've only played 2 games that were truly outstanding in their class. I'm not a hater, but I'm sorry if I don't consider Halo: Reach-Around as Game of the Year.

Heavy Rain and Deadly Premonition stood out this year, for me, and I guess I just made this to see if there was one other person at least that agrees that the year was kinda luke-warm as far as gaming went. A lot of the titles that came out were in high anticipation, but fizzled out.

One person.

Let the hate fly.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
have you tried the new castlevaina? im really enjoying it. People have heard me say it could be game of the year although the masses would disagree i would imagine, also sonic 4, the game does have its awsome good points and bad, but waiting so many years for a new game, it has got to stand for somthing!

But i must admit, halo reach is looking good, i only played 5 mins so far and its panning out to be the best yet, gfx alone are quite stunning compaired to the others

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I liked the new Halo, but honestly, it's nothing new.

And as far as Castlevania, I've yet to play it, but everyone I heard from says it's kinda mediocre. I'm still more partial to 2D 'vania than the 3D ones.

And on Sonic 4? My excitement waned after seeing the minecart levels. Weaksauce.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmmm, I thought Final Fantasy XIII was really good, and didn't 3d dot game heroes come out this year? Those are golden in my books
smile.gif

I tried the demo of Castlevania, and I truly hated it. Not just because it's 3d, but the whole castlevania feel wasn't there.

But I can agree that there weren't many games this year that really stood out
smile.gif

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Hmmm, I thought Final Fantasy XIII was really good, and didn't 3d dot game heroes come out this year? Those are golden in my books
smile.gif

I tried the demo of Castlevania, and I truly hated it. Not just because it's 3d, but the whole castlevania feel wasn't there.

But I can agree that there weren't many games this year that really stood out
smile.gif

FF13 was one of the worst games I played this year. It was truly horrible. I seriously wanted to murder after playing that game.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can think of a few good games that came out this year such as God of War III, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Just Cause 2, and Red Dead Redemption not to mention the games already listed like Castlevania, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Heavy Rain.

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
syko5150 said:
I can think of a few good games that came out this year such as God of War III, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Just Cause 2, and Red Dead Redemption not to mention the games already listed like Castlevania, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Heavy Rain.

See? I didn't think GoW3 was great. I thought it was means to an end. Epic, but just...the same damn thing. Dantes infuriated me, but again, it was nothing more than a GoW clone. Just Cause 2 got boring quick, Darksiders was a good game, but mostly forgettable, and RDD was fun for a while, but it was missing a lot of that old R* charm.

Some good games this year, don't get me wrong, but it was mostly forgettable.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SubliminalSegue said:
syko5150 said:

See? I didn't think GoW3 was great. I thought it was means to an end. Epic, but just...the same damn thing. Dantes infuriated me, but again, it was nothing more than a GoW clone. Just Cause 2 got boring quick, Darksiders was a good game, but mostly forgettable, and RDD was fun for a while, but it was missing a lot of that old R* charm.

If you put it that way most years are the same way really. I have hundreds of games that were awesome or enjoyable while I played them, but now they're nothing but dust collectors on the shelf.

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess I should also note I am a classic gamer at heart, and think most games these days lack the passion older games had. There are some gems, but games are mostly made for money these days.

I find myself losing faith in gaming from time to time.

I hope Fable 3 can pull me from the ashes again.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm the same way I find games from the NES/SNES days more enjoyable than most games they make now. I can play and beat the same games from back then over and over and still find them fun, but most games now i can beat one time and can be just fine never doing it again.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I enjoyed many more games then 2 this year, but I play a lot of less popular games, so it's easier to find better games. You sound like you're just into popular games, so have fun trying to find spectacular games among those. Most popular games lose what they had going for them in the face of trying to become more popular.

The new castlevania is honestly a joke. Ever since it was first announced (over a year ago) i've been wetting myself waiting for it to come out. Then I actually play it and it's a bland, boring, and repetitive piece of crap. It doesn't feel like Castlevania AT ALL. If you changed the main characters name to anything else, and changed any belmont references to another name, it would just be some random game with an alright story and crap gameplay.
They can take their "revamp" and shove it. I would have loved another game like Curse of Darkness.

SubliminalSegue said:
syko5150 said:

GoW3 was crap. Can't say I was really fond of it. Dante's inferno was a GAMEPLAY clone of GoW (which i'm sure cloned some other game, so it's a pointless thing to say), but the story it told was pretty awesome. The whole environment and atmosphere of the game was epic. Never played Darksiders, I opted for Bayonetta instead. Just Cause 2, I agree. Boring very quick.
RDR...lol. It was an alright game, but it was so limited in what you could actually do (unless traveling gives you a boner) that it wasn't fun for more then 10 hours. Especially with a bunch of paper thin characters popping in and out of the games story. God the story sucked.

Classic games have more replay value because they're simple, and often 100% gameplay driven. One thing that maims replayability is that you don't really want to experience the games story again and again. If games had no storylines, they would probably feel a lot more replayable.
Though there ARE a handful of games with stories so awesome that you don't mind experiencing them over and over, or gameplay so great you don't mind skipping through the story to play it. Or I guess, a lot of games try to fall back on multiplayer to create long lasting charm for a game, which fails in most cases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM