Caffeine updated to support FW 4.1.0, works on patched Switches

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jun 25, 2019.

1. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Germany
    Hey guys, quick question.
    Got an unpatched unit (no burnt fuses, currently on 6.2, but can go back to 4.0.1),
    with this achivement, would following scenario be possible to get rid of autoRCM/JIG:

- get back to 4.1/4.0.1 with this, OFW
    - get emunand to boot into latest firmware with this setup aka OFW 4.1, CFW Boot Latest?

Thanks in advance

2. axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2019
    United States
    Looks like yes...

For those in the know, how is this guy launching into Hekate at 1:23? Looks like just holding power when PegaSwitch launches?

Last edited by axiomjunglist, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    It's to do with the switch going into sleep mode then waking up, hence caffeine

4. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2017
    Italy
    Go to the original firmware/lowest firmware that boots with the number of fuses you have

5. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Germany
    Yea, that was the question.
    My clean/OFW Backup is 4.0.1 - with that it would be possible to use this setup.
    What id be interested in is staying on 4.0.1/4.1.0 OFW, and use that to boot - at best - into Hekate or whatever and then emunand @ latest FW.
    Unfortunately I need to wait for a guide to to so, as i left the com. @ like CFW 6.2 :D

6. Essasetic

Essasetic Neutral

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Just pointing it out.

7. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Does Atmo's error screen reboot to Atmo work on a patched unit?

8. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Sounds like your fuses is actually indeed burnt. Probably 5 fuses are burnt. Unless your Switch was at 1.0.0 and you prevented the fuses from being burnt from the get go since being on that 1.0.0 firmware.

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
  10. OperationNT

OperationNT GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2016
    France
    I was exactly in a similar situation: SysMMC on 8.0.0 with AutoRCM (of course, on unpatched unit) and 5 burnt efuses.

I created an EmuMMC from this SysMMC (using SX payload because I was lazy) and I configured Atmosphere to boot this EmuMMC. Then I downgraded my SysMMC to 4.1.0 using ChoiDuJourNX and I disabled AutoRCM: on the next reboot from power off, the console was able to boot (without payload injection) on OFW 4.1.0.

The hardest part was to boot Atmosphere from this OFW 4.1.0 because, currently, there is no clear tutorial. Here are the steps I did (from Windows 10):
    - On SD card, create a directory named "pegascape" and copy "caffeine.nsp" (from this link https://github.com/AtlasNX/caffeine/releases) into this directory
    - Download state "84845eb" from repository https://github.com/noahc3/pegaswitch and extract it
    - Copy "usefulscripts/hbl.js" in the same directory and rename the copy "usefulscripts/caffeine4.js"
    - In this copy, replace '@Sdcard://atmosphere/hbl.nsp' with '@Sdcard://pegascape/caffeine.nsp'
    - You must install NodeJS 10.16.0 LTS, Python 2.7 and Visual Studio 2017 (free community version with parts which allow to compile C/C++ and C#, it should take 7 GB)
    - Open a terminal in the uncompressed PegaScape directory
    - If you have several Python versions installed, in the terminal, do the command "set PATH=Path_To_Python_2;%PATH%"
    - Do the command "npm install" and wait (it will take some time because it will recompile some dependencies)
    - Do the command "npm start": it should display in cyan "switch>"
    - On the Nintendo Switch running OFW 4.1.0, configure DNS from the Wifi connection to your PC IP address
    - Open the eShop (account creation is fine), it should be redirected to a "PegaScape" webpage
    - Wait until there is no more page loading on the Nintendo Switch and the terminal displays the console identifier instead of "switch>" (it takes about 20 seconds)
    - Do the command "evalfile usefulscripts/caffeine4.js" and wait until the command is over (it takes about 5 seconds)
    - On the Nintendo Switch, press "Home" button then go to the album: it should stay on a frozen white or grey screen (depending on your theme configuration)
    - Press power button: the console should restart in Atmosphere!

hallo23 and anhyeuviolet like this.
  11. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    Not possible without a hardware level exploit. possible but unlikely.

12. Eeveekid

Eeveekid GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2018
    Germany
    lemme guess people with the latest firmware are still fricked?

13. henkp

henkp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2007
    Netherlands
    Yes.

And to be fair, that shouldn't come as a surprise, with
    1. common sense and
    2. all the warnings all over this place, even in the title of every 'switch update X.XX is available now' newsitem...

14. axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2019
    United States
    Ah that makes sense...
    Nice! I was thinking of restoring my old 4.1.0 sysNAND from a hekate backup, but using ChoidujoirNX to flash 4.1.0 sounds way easier.

Anybody aware of a tutorial for creating emuMMC without using SX? Also how do you specify Atmo to launch the emuMMC instead of sysNAND?

Last edited by axiomjunglist, Jun 26, 2019
  15. Connorsdad

Connorsdad GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2017
    I have a none patched unit on fw 4.0, what does this mean for me?

16. RattletraPM
    OP

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    For anyone interested, PegaScape has now been released publicly. Check the second source link on the OP for more info!

17. henkp

henkp Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2007
    Netherlands
    Maybe it's useful to add that the switch must never éver have connected to the internet, otherwise the supernag prevents all the fun :sad:

18. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 25, 2017
    Argentina
    Does Sxos work with this ?

guily6669 likes this.
  19. OperationNT

OperationNT GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2016
    France
    Maybe you should try to place/replace "atmosphere\reboot_payload.bin" with SX OS payload.

20. darkfuturez

darkfuturez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    Canada
    I did not make a backup of 4.0, but I do have one for 3.0.

Can I flash back to 3.0 then update to 4.1? Or am I unable to pursue this hack?