LittleBigMods

OP
Trophies
Website
www.littlebigmods.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to learn a programming language. A few years ago, I started learning ActionScript (2.0, then later 3.0) as a first language. Once I felt comfortable with that, I started learning Java. After a while of messing around with Java, I became interested in making games for my Zune in C#. I wouldn't say I'm very fluent at all in C#, mainly because it's been a few years since I've used it and I'm trying to get the hang of it again, but I feel a little more comfortable with it.

I've decided that I want to get seriously involved in programming and have been looking into a number of different languages, such as Objective-C, C, C++ and C#. From what I understand, they all have their shortcomings, but can be briefly explained as:

C: The most basic of the C family (second to Assembly). Used for making very low-level firmware, such as an OS. Requires full memory management

Objective-C: Similar to C but a little cleaner?

C++: Idk :P

C#: Made to replace Java as a more advanced language. Fairly clean, lower possibility of memory leaks.

What I'm looking to do is some lower-level programming, such as making emulators, file converters and drivers, but also simpler programs, such as games. I know you're probably thinking "Stoopid newb. He needs to Google the interwebs." :P But I'm not expecting any guides on that, just wondering what language I should learn for those types of projects.

Which one would be the best to use?
Which one is the easiest to learn?
Is it easy to learn one of the other 3 after I've learned one of them?

Thanks in advance :)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Zune you will want to probably want to use C# since the XNA SDK is focused around .NET. You can use C/++ (C++ is just an extension of C) mixed in as well but you don't have/need to. For a person new to programming it would be less confusing and faster imo.Objective C isn't used too much outside of Mac and iDevice programming so I would forget about using it for anything else.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: So basically, that's a cheat, huh?