buying RROD 360s and sending it to microsoft for repairs

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by blueagent1999, Feb 10, 2019.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    there's a lot of defective 2006 CORE model xbox 360 that has RRODed long ago, and is being sold here as junk for the equivalent of around 10USD and less.

i was thinking of buying one, then sending it to microsoft for repairs. i remembered that the maximum amount they charged for repair of the console alone is 115 USD.

i imagine microsoft will just replace the whole motherboard & the melted GPU with a new one, so i was thinking.....isn't that kind of a good deal?

think about it, after the repairs you're getting "kind of" a new and working xbox 360 motherboard in an old chasis, which i rekon is a much better purchase than getting a used xbox360 costing 70-80 dollars which may already not have much time left?

what are you thoughts on this? do you think its a good deal?

Last edited by blueagent1999, Feb 10, 2019
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    You can get a Slim 360 for less then 100 quid.

Don't waste your money.

blueagent1999 and ShonenJump like this.
  3. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    Repair it yourself, if you buy bulk repair kits, its as low as $2 a repair, granted it will not fix all issues, but for simple rrod repairs it will do, disc drive fixes take as little as some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab, to clean the laser, and remove any dust that might be jamming it. If you can get working systems for $15 after repairs its not a bad deal, at that price you can give them a way and not feel bad about it, just don't expect a lot of profit, they are a hard sell in 2019 when gamestop gives them away practically free during the holidays. If you're really looking to boost your sales with any kind of profit, jtagging them would probably be your best route.

blueagent1999 and H1B1Esquire like this.
  4. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Definitely agree with fixing it yourself.

How many other units can you buy and fix with $115.00?
    Then, if you sell those fixed units for $40-$50 (more if the system is easily hackable)......literal profit.

blueagent1999 likes this.