Hacking Buying PS3 to mod, need some clarification

KnilKrad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on buying a 3.55 PS3 to mod soon and I've been looking around at FAQs and tutorials trying to figure out exactly what I'll need. However, it seemed like some of the information I found may out of date, so I was hoping that I might get a few questions answered here.

1. I will probably want to be able to run disc backups. Should I buy a USB hard drive for this purpose, or is it possible to install and run backups from a PS3's built-in hard drive? Also, about how large are most PS3 backups?

2. It's my understanding I should get a Slim - is there any real upside or downside to the different available models? Are older models more prone to break or anything like that?

3. Sorry for the vague question, but is there anything not obvious that I will probably need or should know about before I begin?

Thanks for the help.

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Most games are between 7 and 15 gb, some are much larger but most games are able to shrink quite a bit. It depends on how many games you want to install. I got 23 small games installed in my homescreen and i think 7 games in mmCM (bu that includes god of war 3 and GTA V). So yes, if you want 50+ games then you need a hard disk, but if you just want to play a single player for yourself and play some games with friends then it's no problem without harddisk. A harddisk is nice for playing movies and such, the built in media player is amazing.

2. I think slim is recommended because the fat ps3's overheat more easely. I don't know if there's a real downside, but i don't think there is.

3. Not really, i just installed habib 4.70 and it was easier then installing windows. The guides are outdated but the process is still the same. oh ye.. don't log in on psn is a good thing to know. And read about PSNpatch and PSNreact. Also look what firmware you want to use. I chose habib, but i see most people prefer rebug. No idea though, i love my habib 4.70.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
You won't find a slim with that version firmware.

Certain Slim PS3s are capable of being downgraded to 3.55 and I think this because they were manufactured before the 3.55 update, thus originally having a lower firmware version. You might be thinking of Super Slims which, as far as I know, could never have had a version 3.55 firmware.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sometimes you can pick up a cheap 3.55 ps3 thats been PSN banned on ebay. That's only if you don't really care about PSN though. (it's what I did and I got it for a very decent price with pre-installed exploits)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi