buying pre-built model kits

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by blueagent1999, Aug 9, 2018.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    i want to buy a rare model kit that's already been pre-built & painted, it costs $60 U.S dollars but with shipping and handling i'd probably end up paying around $100 dollars for it.

i talked with my friend about this, but he thinks i'm wasting my money, and instead suggested that i buy the model kit alone and built/paint it myself. this is impossible for me, as the kit is too complex and i'm too unskilled, infact i don't even know how to glue the parts together. plus i never learnt how to paint model kits when i was a child, back then i'd just use the default stickers, and even then i'd still screw that up occasionally.

so do you think that paying $100 us dollars is too much for a rare pre-built/painted model kit?

thanks!

Last edited by blueagent1999, Aug 9, 2018
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You have the oddest threads.

Anyway "i never learnt how to paint model kits when i was a child"... why not learn now? Same goes for glue -- most glues are single part air curing things anyway, might be a bit cruel to start with UV curing or two part epoxy but even then it is not so bad.

I always thought the fun of model kits was the putting it together. If you want the end result though, more than you want $100, then I guess it would be worth it for you.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Is that the Xenoblade X skell by chance? Japanese street price ~ 60 bux, Italian street price ~ 110 € (which after shipping, tax, and seller's profit is actually not that unreasonable)

I also did not paint mine because I'm a poor artist and not really interested in the effort (and don't have one in-game to set up with my favorite colors as reference :D)
    For most kits you don't need to glue them together either... just plastic shears and a small-bladed cutter (and an OCR + translator combo on your phone) will get the basics down

Ultimately, your product - your fun - your money, though!