Buying Online - Escrow? Western Union? Qiwi Wallet? Webmoney?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by D4nny26, Jul 21, 2014.

1. D4nny26
    OP

D4nny26 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2014
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to buy a Nintendo DS Lite housing from AlieExpress and the seller only accepts... Escrow? Western Union? Qiwi Wallet? WebMoney?.

They don't accept Paypal,

Has anyone used any of the above methods? is it safe? and does anyone know if I can send money from my paypal to it or do I need to register my bank card with them etc.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not sure what their definition of escrow is (probably you send something to aliexpress which then sends it on upon delivery), Western Union is an extremely popular way to send money around the world (it is available in all sorts of corner shop, finance related places, pawn shows/trade in shops.....), Qiwi is more of a Russian thing but still well known and Webmoney is not unheard of either.

Paypal's fees and general awfulness (especially in these kinds of circles -- they block flash cart sellers and freeze their funds with impunity because they can and feel like it, no legal mandate or anything like that) mean it is not an attractive option for a lot of people running online businesses.

That said are DS lite housings so hard to find these days? I was trying to find one for my original DS a couple of months back and was always getting those back as the results of a search. Assuming it is not a fancy colour or something you otherwise can not find I would consider something other than aliexpress -- aliexpress is a great site (or as great as any trading site can be) but it is probably going to be shipped from China and that takes a while.

3. D4nny26
    OP

D4nny26 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2014
    Hey thanks for the reply,
    Is western union safe in case the seller isn't straight? there seems to be a lot of sellers on there using the same photos with the same watermarks but different company names,

I was looking at the Mario shells, white with gold mushrooms on them lol, they have some nice items on that site.

Did you manage to find an original ds housing in the end? there was a guy on eBay selling red, pink, silver and black ones when I was looking at the ds lite ones, think he was charging £9 though but they were from the uk.

4. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P

Western Union is very difficult to get a refund from if the seller scams you. Be aware of this! Same with Webmoney, I don't know about the others. If you're going to use one of these services keep this in mind. Don't pay more than you're willing to lose.

My suggestion is use nds-card.com or one of the other well known web retailers that have more trustworthy payment options available.

5. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    If they don't accept Paypal then don't even buy from there.
    Find a shop that accepts Paypal like LightInTheBox.
    Just search there and ur gonna find it http://www.lightinthebox.com/Popular/Nintendo_Ds_Lite_Housing.html

They have paypal and they are trusty, iirc i got my package after a month so ur gonna need to wait a while.(probably they ship from Hong Kong like all the shops that sell them, or u could search on ebay and find someone who sends near your location?)

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005