Buying new Wii u, what version to get to keep chances for hack

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by fatsquirrel, Jan 11, 2014.

1. fatsquirrel
    OP

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm buying a new wii u and I'm worrying which version to get because I'd like to keep my chances for a hack. I have 3 possible versions to choose from

new super Mario u bundle
    Zelda bundle
    Nintendoland bundle

can someone tell me which bundle should I go with to receive firmware lower than 4.0 so that I can keep my chances for a hack.

someone here on gab temp said something about browser bug being fixed in 4.0 so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

please advise me, i have time till Monday

2. c4p0

c4p0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2013
    United States
    chilling with r2
    If you would like to be completely safe i would say choose the nintendoland bundle. Do to the fact that its the oldest.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The Zelda bundle requires an update to the latest version in order to download Wind Waker from the eShop.

pelago likes this.
  4. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    hum...
    Where did you see that < 4.0 can be hacked ?
    Where did you see that a Wii U has been hacked ?
    vWii still open even with the last update...

Ray Lewis and Huntereb like this.
  5. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    As I said in patch 4.0 browser bug which f0f and now the new wiiu hacking team used was fixed in 4.0.
    Zelda is definately off the list now.

How about NSMB bundle?

6. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
    Ok... Have a nice dream !

7. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    They needed that bug to get the keys. They have the keys. You don't need that bug to install the hack probably. An undated system isn't very useful. How are you going to buy things from the shop? or use any new features? I wouldn't worry about the hack. They will find a way.

8. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    Are you sure about that?

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is unlikely that a vulnerability will be patched before it's publically disclosed. It's my opinion that 4.0.2 (as of now, the latest) is a safe version to be on for the time being.

10. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    The game is on a disc, including the Super Luigi U DLC. When I bought the bundle it came with firmware 3.2. I believe the SKU is the same as the Nintendo Land bundle, just with a different game (and sexy artwork).

11. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Chances are a new exploit will hack the Wii U (If ever) so its probably safe to update.

12. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    No one can say for sure. There's at least 3 groups now working on "something", but nobody knows what's really happening. I'd say wait a few months without updating and play only games that don't need latest firmware (i.e. DON'T buy Super Mario 3D World, etc,). Then if after some months there's not even rumors of a hack, update and enjoy your console for what it is. (Because the possibility of never seeing a working exploit is likely, given progress to this point.)

slingblade1170 likes this.
  13. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I agree

14. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    Hey everyone, I bought a Nintendoland bundle, just to be safe. I got a version 1.0.2 lol.
    Just, a question, does New Super Mario U force you to update?

15. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    I believe so. When you launch the game from the Wii U menu it'll automatically update if required. There's no cancel or yes/no prompt.

16. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Why not just update to 4.0.2 they havnt blocked any hacks and you will be able to use the gamepad in wii mode

17. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    So they said for the 4.5 update on 3ds.:wink:
    Ill stay on this firmware as long as possible.

18. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

Look if you're really anal you can backup:
    The entire NAND chip - both the Wii U and the virtual wii (vwii). All 8 Gbs
    The EMMC chip
    The serial flash of the DRH(host?) on the motherboard
    The serial flash of the DRC(client/Controller?) in the gamepad
    And probably something else I'm forgetting.
    But even the fof (fail0verflow)guys (Marcan ,Sven and Comex and probably Bushing and some other people ,whatever) Will tell you is that most of the interesting stuff happened after the launch day update to 2.0.

You don't get the virtual wii or the internet browser unless you updated to 2.0. So you can't get the virtual wii key.bin without updating. (the old type keys from the wii days.)
    With the launch day firmware 1.x (to the best of my knowledge) unless you have a ram hack or a signed by Nintendo SD card piece of software you're not getting in.
    But it's too late to update to 2.x or 3.x online, you'd have to update via a game disc. I don't recall seeing a list of system updates available on wiiu game discs and for what regions.
    If you are eur system(PAL), I believe that Marvel the Avengers Battle for Earth had a 2.0 system update on the game disc. (it was very similar to the one that you could get online from Nintendo servers)

The browser exploit that Comex had was tedious and the painstaking hurdles which he had to go through just to assemble a few bytes of code were rendered mostly useless once the keys were retrieved by a series of iOS exploits by marcan.

So basically backup what you can backup then relax
    update to the latest firmware (4.x) and enjoy the new features on the wiiu's gamepad

everything but the key to get into boot1 (00050010-10000100) is known.
    You don't have your console specific keys for the NAND ( both sides) and EMMC and the optical drive but other than that you are good to go.

filfat likes this.
  19. fatsquirrel
    OP

Nov 11, 2013
    I see. Im not too technical guy, so I have no idea how to backup these things. Now Id like to try Super Mario 3D World because Im completely bored with Nintendoland. Do you really think its safe to update? Most of people did anyway didnt they...

20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    No, they didn't. 3DSBrew was all like "4.5 IS VULNERABLE, DO NOT UPDATE, WE REPEAT, DO NOT UPDATE". Of course the actual flashcarts only came much later, but still. If a specific WiiU version was vulnerable, you'd probably have heard of it by now.