Hardware Buying new 3DS XL - advice please

Augs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok - so I have compared the NEW 3DS XL and the older 3DS XL, and have decided that I just MUST have the newer one : ) Before talking to people on the forums here, I didn't even realize there was a difference... I felt like an idiot when I realized that NEW was being used as a model name and not an item condition description.

I also just learned (again, thanks to the forums here) about there being some 3DS XLs with IPS screens, and some with TN screens.

Anyhow - are there any other things I should consider or look out for when looking for a new/used 3DS XL? Are there any new versions being released soon or is now as good a time as any to buy? Are there any good sites to find a used one? Anyone looking to get rid of one (I am in the U.S.)?

Thanks in advance!

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as the IPS and TN screens go, I don't think there is any way to tell what you're gonna get until you open it. I would buy it new unless u find a good deal, typically n3ds' in good condition sell for almost full price still in stores. U might be able to find a good deal online with a private seller though. And finally, yea, now is a good time to get one. As of the time of this post, there have been no reported systems in stores on firmware 11.0. If u don't already know 11.0 prevents downgrading and thus, most hacks and all CFW. If u wait too long Nintendo might start shipping out systems already on 11.0. On a related note, do not buy directly from nintendo as they may send you an updated system.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several reports and at least a couple threads about 11.0 in stores. It is becoming pretty common and practically a guarantee if ordered from Amazon.

burningstallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The screen is a lottery. You have to get lucky or buy from scalpers on ebay. I don't recommend the latter.
Do gamestop allows for inspecting the system? I would like to get dual ips non clicky majora's mask or hyrule.

If you're not aware, there are two types of 3ds hinges, one which is clicks, and the other one which has less audible clicks.

icecreamcake

Trophies
XP
Country
I got lucky and got a hyrule 3DS with 2 ips screens from gamestop's online order. You could ask the employees if they would let you inspect the system before purchase.

All of my hinges click.

icecreamcake

Trophies
XP
Country
Just checked my super famicom 3DS and the click is not as loud. I didn't pay attention to it because I was weeping over its bad screens.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously why is the TN or IPS important? I don't understand and i wish to know honestly. If the system works and you can play it without problems, what is the reason for needing a specific one? I can understand if is a visual problem related to persons ability to see, like if you have some kind of disabilty in vision, perhaps the lens on the screen or something, but i wanna know cause i am curious. I could be sitting here. I have 3 3DS systems, would i know if i had a TN or IPS screen the whole time and never noticed?:unsure:

burningstallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Seriously why is the TN or IPS important? I don't understand and i wish to know honestly. If the system works and you can play it without problems, what is the reason for needing a specific one? I can understand if is a visual problem related to persons ability to see, like if you have some kind of disabilty in vision, perhaps the lens on the screen or something, but i wanna know cause i am curious. I could be sitting here. I have 3 3DS systems, would i know if i had a TN or IPS screen the whole time and never noticed?:unsure:
Ok if you're really curious

This guy have a dual ips vs dual tn side by side.

IPS generally have better color reproduction and wider viewing angle vs TN. It's the same when PSV decided to change panels on their newer hardware revision.

Last edited by burningstallion,

icecreamcake

Trophies
XP
Country
If you put the 2 types of screens next to each other you'll see a big difference. I didn't think it mattered. After I got a 3DS with 2 ips screens I can't go back to playing on tn screens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?