Buying an M3 Perfect Lite

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Stray, Feb 17, 2007.

Feb 17, 2007

Buying an M3 Perfect Lite by Stray at 7:53 PM (1,156 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Stray
    OP

Newcomer Stray Member

Canada
    I've been looking into several cards for my homebrew needs and the M3 perfect lite matches my criteria for a good time (I have a DSP with firmware v1) and am going to upgrade to a lite in an indeterminate amount of time,and want to make sure that I don't need an all new slot-2 card, but most of that is unimportant to my question.

My questions:

Would the M3 Perfect Lite w/ Passcard 3 work on my ooooollld V1 firmware DS? I'm specifically trying to avoid any compatability issues.

How is homebrew support on M3 Perfects, in your opinions?

DS/GBA ROM support? (This is optional for me. I don't really care for them.)

NES/SNES/GB/SEGA ROM support? (This is where its at for me)

That's all I've got for now.

I'm also aware slot 1 cards are so much better, but I'd prefer a slot 2, then get a slot 1 to use with it when I can afford one.

2. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    SC lite would be best for homebrew. M3 fails at it. To put it simply:
    SC = homebrew
    M3 = GBA

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Wow, talking about a biased statement. Not to mention completely untrue.

4. Stray
    OP

Newcomer Stray Member

Canada
    ..?!

So then, that statement wasn't true?

And referring to my first post, would the thing work w/ my firmware v1 DS and a Passcard 3? I'm getting the bundled one from kicktrading, most likely

5. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    I think you need to do more research here after reading your first post....I just responded directly to the 2nd post. The m3 perfect lite version is for the DS Lite, they don't have a casing that makes the m3 lite fit DS phats. Your best bet at a m3 device would be a M3 Mini that takes mini-sds (make sure you get the new version so it fits flush with your setup). However, having said that, it seems your main concern is emulation (the m3 will play almost all gba and DS games fine that you would care about) and emulation on the DS isn't exactly up to par to other systems like the PSP. So do not be disappointed, that is what homebrew people have to live with for now. Homebrew support by now is basically the same with the whole DLDI movement anyways.

6. Stray
    OP

Newcomer Stray Member

Canada
    Being aware my options are limited in having a DSP, I chose the M3 Perfect because of the GBA shell that is packed in with it. That was a major buying point, and as far as I know, the only other card that offers both GBA and DSL sized carts is G6, but I'm leery on being bound to 4Gb. Emulation (DS/GBA) runs in a distant 3rd in why I wish to go with a flashcart. Another thing with M3 Perfect L is the microSD format. Most slot-1 cards use micro SD currently, so I'd prefer to stick with the currently most popular medium in case I decide aponm a Slot-1 card in the future.

So long as homebrew support is the same all around, my choice is still with M3 Perfect. Unless I'm missing your point entirely, which is entirely possible..

7. Rabbi Nevins

Member Rabbi Nevins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have an m3 lite pro, id say homebrew support is decent...you just have to have patience...as in messing around with options

8. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    You know, you are correct. I was just making sure you get a m3 that will fit your DS. I was not aware there is a GBA sized casing for the m3 lite chip....back in the good ol days there were oly M3 Mini that would fit for the phat. When you say M3 Perfect, it is very vague....this ranges from CF version, SD version, Mini-SD version (2 versions within this), micro-SD version (M3 Lite). Everything else with your logic seems to fall in place. You should be fine with the m3 lite.

9. Stray
    OP

Newcomer Stray Member

Canada
    Eeeeeexcellent.....

I shall be placing my order shortly. I hope that it doesnt burn out my DS's fuses, or is that a negative stereotype?

10. dunderhead

Newcomer dunderhead Member

United States
    Yeah, my R4 is on the way, but I also want GBA support, so I'm considering the M3 Lite over the G6 Lite mainly because of the microSD support as opposed to the limited 512mb.

Has anyone tried running .avi and other movie files on the M3 lite? I'm hoping to shove weekly episodes of certain shows on here so I can watch them when I'm not doing anything at work. =P

11. Stray
    OP

Newcomer Stray Member

Canada
    Far as I can tell it can run .AVI files, but your best bet would be to convert them to .dpg for moonshell. But, I don't have any experience on it yet so I honestly can't say.

12. dunderhead

Newcomer dunderhead Member

United States
    Yeah, I'm just having problems using batchdpg on my computer; it keeps crashing.

edit: I think I just (finally) got it working!