Buying a Wii -- got some questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Another World, Aug 27, 2011.

Aug 27, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    I'm about to pick up a Wii from a guy. The bundle includes the Red Wii, some games, and the motion+ controllers. I haven't followed Wii hacking at all. I'm not looking for guides or info right now I just want to know some specifics so I can make an informed purchase.

• What Wiis can/can not be hacked?
    • Is is possible to hack a wii, damage it in some way, but retail games still play and load off disc? (wondering if he is selling something slighty damaged in some way that I won't be able to hack)
    • What else do I not know that I should know before making this purchase

Thanks!!
    -Another World

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    All wii's at this point are hackable. It is possible that you could damage your wii and turn it into a brick during the softmodding process, though this is very unlikely (just don't hack your wii during a lightning storm [​IMG] ). The wii you are planning on buying is one of the newer versions though, you probably won't be able to install your bootmii as boot2, and you most likely won't be able to use burned discs to play backups. You'll have to use usb loading from a HDD, SDcard, or USB Memory stick.

3. Nathanaël

Member Nathanaël GBAtemp Regular

Nauru
    You can hack them all. You can get it, update it to 4.3 and then hack it. It's as simple as that.

You should get a Classic Controller Pro. You need that for Xenoblade and Emulation (Genesis, SNES). It's worth the money.

---

When you brick your Wii, then it's bricked. But if you flollow the guide, that shouldn't happen. Most users get a "small" brick like a Priiloader brick, that's not a real brick. But a real brick means: Good bye

---

Don't pay to much, I paid 130 Euros for a brand new Wii now on Amazon. But the Red Wii is a collector's item. That's really expensive now.

4. scooby74029

Member scooby74029 "fake coder"

United States
    1 now pretty much every wii can be hacked
    2 yes someone can really mess up a wii--before you buy you want a test drive(if possible)
    3 come here and ask for help if need when you are ready to hack it
    Modmii in my sig is a great wii modding tool for a windows PC
    and the guide modmii will make for you is easy to follow and understand

hope this helps a little

5. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Yeah you can hack the wii, you don't even need a game [​IMG]
    Just take a look at modmii, the thread is sticky. It can hack every wii without problems.

6. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have the Red Wii [​IMG]

1. Just update it to 4.3U and use Letterbomb.

2. Install Priiloader .7 as boot2. I am able to boot into it on my Red wii by holding the reset button when powering on.

3. Get a hold of a Classic Controller for VC Games and to be remotely good at Mario Kart Wii. (Motion Controls are stupid)

4. Since the Red Wii was only available for a limited time starting last December. I am pretty sure you can't load Wii backups from DVD Disc. nor Play DVD movies. So make sure you grab a big USB Hard Drive or Thumb Drive for Backups.

7. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I'd also suggest downloading the program modmii, really great for getting all the files you would need in one download.

8. Nathanaël

Nauru
    For the hack, you need:
    • A non-SDHC SD card
    • HDD (for you games).
    Most people prefer WD. Something like this.

Later you can use a bigger SDHC SD card. If you don't want to sepend money for a HDD now, you can simply use a 8 GB USB-stick for one or two games.

9. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks guys! keep the info comming =)

-another world

10. Nathanaël

Nauru
    You'll find all the important stuff in your "Homebrew browser" then. The emulators, for example.

There are three USB loaders with different GUIs. Just like DS2, Akaio & Wood.

But here, we call them cfg, GX and Wiiflow.

cfg = really ugly but high compatibility
    GX = looks nice
    WiiFlow = looks even nicer. But some games might not work.

When you use ModMii (you should do that) you can go and play online like anybody else. You can even use the Nintendo channel etc.

ModMii will take an hour.
    When you want everything perfect with forwarders, channels, emulators etc you're busy for a month or so. But then you're done.

There's no AP in Wii games or somehing like that.
    And we don't call that ROMs anymore, this are ISOs now.

11. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    does anyone have the serial number or parts number for the red wii? i just want to verify what he has is legit.

-another world

12. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
  13. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So you want a serial number for the red wii? Does that mean you want the serial number on my wii or on the box it came in?

14. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    i want any identifying numbers or marks on the unit itself. i don't think there is a red wii case but if there is he could have done a swap to raise the asking price. i just want to verify that its real when i finally get some hands-on time with it.

-another world

15. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
  16. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks for all the help. i really didn't know where to begin researching the wii. random google searches were taking me in circles.

-another world

17. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you can just look at the stickers on the case. i dont think aftermarket wii cases come with all the nintendo stickers on them. there should a sticker inside the flaps that open up on the gamecube side of the wii and a sticker on the other side that has the serial number. then you can compare that serial number that is stored on the nand in setting.txt. keep in mind that it is possible to edit the setting.txt.

also, he might have done something like cheat at some games online and get banned. you wouldnt be able to detect that until you tried to play that same game online and it wouldnt let you.