Buying a wii and need advice!

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by blackmaff, Jul 18, 2007.

Jul 18, 2007
  1. blackmaff
    OP

Newcomer blackmaff Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, I'm buying a Wii and I'm wondering what I need to buy with it? What is essential? Does it have built in memory for saved games or do i need to buy memory cards? Do i need more than one remote or are most of the games pass the remote? Are nunchuks useful? I've already ordered Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Strikers Charged off ebay because i'm not buying one til a week today but what do you recommend? I have a budget of about 50 pounds and that's not taking into account

Wii and Wii Sports
    A spare remote
    Zelda
    Mario Strikers.

So i have like 50 pounds more, what do I urgently have to buy?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    If you want multiplayer then two Wiimotes, some games do let you use one and pass it on but I recommend two if you want to play Wii Sports Tennis/Boxing. Two nunchucks are not essential for Wii sports though Boxing does require two as does Mario Strikers and other multiplayer titles as the nunchuck basically controls your player like an analog stick does on a regular pad.

You don't need a memory card for the Wii it saves into its internal memory. Later on you can buy SD cards to save on. Gamecube games however require GameCube memory cards.

3. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    So, so far I just need to buy another nunchuk to go with my second remote? Any other suggestions?

4. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    No thats about it really, you might want to spend £15 on some points (you'll get 2000) for the Wii Shop, which will let you buy the Opera Internet Browser and some Virtual Console games.

If you are interested in VC games then you may wanna invest in a Classic Controller which is £10, you might get 1000 points with it too though I'm not sure if you still get that or not though. If you don't want to spend much, a Gamecube controller would do for VC games plus unlike the Classic Controller the GC one does not require you to plug it into your Wiimote and works with GC games. Wii mote is good for NES and PC Engine games but for SNES, N64 etc a classic or GC controller is a must.

5. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    I already have a gamecube so have two gamecube controllers already [​IMG] I think im quite happy with the stuff i've got so far, I was going to buy Resident Evil 4 but I've already got the gamecube version so I don't think I'll bother, might buy it when it gets cheap and second hand! The only other games i'm really bothered about are Wario Ware and Excite Truck, I'm currently 'stalking' them on ebay waiting for them to come along at the right price

6. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Excitetruck is a must own - best game on the system along with Zelda TP so far IMO. Wario Ware is great fun but very short - I completed the bulk of the game in one evening. Worth checking out though, it's a great title - you could always rent it or buy it and then sell it on again and get your money back once you tire of it.

[​IMG]

7. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Excite Truck & Wario Ware are great games and don't need nunchucks for multplayer either.

8. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    So out of the games mentioned I'd only need two nunchuks to play two player on wii sports? The controllers and nunchuks are scandalously expensive!

9. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok I've pushed the boat out and ordered excite truck on you guys' recommendation! Hopefully it's as good as you make it out to be.

So I'll have a
    Wii With Wii Sports
    Two Remotes
    Excite Truck
    Zelda
    Mario Strikers

What else should I look at?

10. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    mario strikers needs a nunchuck, so you may have two remotes, but you need an additional nunchuck if you want local 2 player gaming on strikers.

11. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks sekhu I will look into a nunchuk to be able to play two player.

12. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Resident Evil 4 is definately worth a look if you havn't played it on a different format - absolutely fantastic game and the Wii version (the best version) can be had for less than £22.

If you need to buy an additional remote pick it up as part of the Wii Play pack (Wii remote and game) - you can get it for around £30 (link / link) so you're only paying a few quid more on top of what you'd pay for a remote on it's own. The game consists of 9 multiplayer minigames - they aren't anything special but you'll get a good few hours from it - they're good fun and easily worth the extra few quid. Not to mention the game alone (without remote) sells for upto £20 on ebay! (so in reality you'd only paying £10'ish for the remote. [​IMG])

Probably worth getting an extra nunchuck as blackmaff mentions you'll need one for Mario Strikers. You'll also need it for the boxing game in Wii Sports (which is great fun!) but the rest of the Wii Sports games, Wii Play and Excitetruck you can play 2 player with just the Wii remotes ~ Though you'll probably end up needing a nunchuck sooner or later. Mind you I went without an extra nunchuck for a while and found one at a car boot sale for £4 (also got a classic controller for £4), so keep an eye out. [​IMG]

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    the best thing to do with resident evil 4 is to trade in the gamecube version and use the cash/credit you got from the cube version and buy the Wii version instead, that way you don't lose that much money, i did this myself i had the cube and ps2 version and traded the ps2 version and kept the cube version and swaped for the Wii version.

14. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Yeah definitely go for the Wii RE4, I love it and the Wii port seems kinda fresh even to someone like me hes gone through it loads of times.

15. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I already have Resident Evil 4 for the gamecube, I bought it fairly recently, I guess i could go trade it in and maybe get 10 pounds ish towards it, I've seen copies for 25.00 online. I'm thinking about buying Wario Ware but it looks a bit shallow and so I keep umming and aahing over it. Any testimonials for it?

16. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How about some kind of recharging device for the Wiimote? I'm not sure if it's the "Econogizer"/"Cheapacell" - type batteries I'm using or not, but batteries seem to run out fast. I had to put in recharge-ables just now because I couldn't take it anymore (my battery expenditures were rivaling that of my mom's crackaine addiction), so if you don't have them lying around, I'd buy a recharging solution (either a Wiimote regarche station or just some rechargeable AAs)

EDIT: Also, get a Modchip. That way, you can play legitimate backups of games you pirate from the internet.

17. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    lol, i agree, at least he won't be spending £40 a pop for each game anymore. [​IMG]

18. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    I don't trust the modchips though, and I see that the people who make them don't even bother making updates

19. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    the best thing about modchips is it saves you £100's if not £1000's of pounds which can go to other useful things i was hesitant to mod my wii at first but i definitely don't regret modding it now, the wiikey supposedly is getting a update soon for the first time ever.

if you change your mind i can redirect you to someone who is a great modder and has modded my consoles, and i can personally say they are excellent at their job.

20. blackmaff
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, that would be great, how much would it cost?