Buying a Used Xbox 360, precautions to be aware of?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by VLinh, May 20, 2011.

May 20, 2011
  1. VLinh
    OP

Member VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I found one on craigslist and the deal is pretty much:

Xbox 360 Elite - controller, cords, headset, games are Halo 3 , ODST, and crap

all for $130, not bad but i have a suspiciousness attitude where it could have been RROD and repaired, opened up for misc reasons.

So I wanted to ask the community if the Xbox 360 had like a void seal, like the PS3, it had a void seal before opening up the PS3 to attempt a YLOD fix.

Anything I should look out for? Some might suggest asking him what he did, etc. But not all people like to take that route, but im going to test it out at his place, make sure things are working fine

Thank you for your time!

2. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Checking warranty sticker is basically the only thing you can do. Remove the front plate by sticking your fingers into the hole where the USB ports are located, grab the plate, and pull it away from the Xbox. You'll need to use some force. If anything is unclear, there should be plenty of guides on the subject in the Internet.

If you want to rrod check the box, you might have to run some gpu intensive game for quite a while. Most xboxes won't rrod right when you start them, you'll have to load the gpu for a while before it happens. And maybe it won't happen at all. It's hard to find out for certain if it's a rrod box or not without having some time to test it.

3. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    you can also try and use Xval to check if it's banned/flagged, ask the seller if you can test it out, you need to go to system settings-->console settings-->system info, then write down the info you need and check it before you buy.
    though as for RRoD you can check the warranty sticker and make certain it is intact though some people just remove it on older models with a blow dryer and wax paper.
    the only sure way as stated above is to test a GPU stressful game on it, seeing as anyone can towel trick a 360 back to life without opening it.

4. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You guys saying that you need to load up a GPU intense game are full of it. If a system's gonna red-ring it will either do it upon startup, or loading a game. You don't need to play a game for a while to see if it's gonna RROD. I had one go up on me at the character select screen on mvc3, every time.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    no it wont, Ive encountered plenty of times where the system red ringed while in the middle of playing a game

6. EJames2100

Member EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    What's his/her reputation like ?

Actually it is best to ask, all sellers I've come across are as honest and as helpful as possible whenever I've contacted them, it's at least worth an effort and tbh if they're not very helpful then I wouldn't bother and would look elsewhere.