Homebrew Buying a used Wii, want to install BootMii at Boot2

SSJ2 Dark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking around for a used Wii, and I want to buy one where I can install BootMii at Boot2 to take advantage of the brick protection. Is there any way I can do this without just hoping I get lucky?

Otherwise, are there good alternate options for brick protection? I intend to install WADs, so I think I need something to recover from corrupt WADs (banner bricks?).

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Aways look for white ones with GC controller ports, most probably some of them have boot2. Also you must check the serial, if it's something like "LU40,37,36" (More than 40 its a bit hard to be compatible) you got lucky.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You could try the wads on a neek(2o) emulated nand to check if they behave. If they work fine on that, they should on real nand as well.
Most wads use the same banner annimation (with different media), so they shouldn't cause a banner brick.

If you have a bootmii backup of the nand contents and the keys, it can be restored to the nand using an infectus. Deadly Foez is the guy that has most experience in this area. It requires some fine pitch soldering to remove the nand chip, so I wouldn't recommend to try this yourself unless you have experience with such work..

A bootmii @ boot2 will always be the safest solution.

SSJ2 Dark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely want the GC compatibility, but looking for specific serial numbers will be useful. I also like the idea of having an emulated NAND to test installs; that way if I make a mistake or use a corrupt WAD, I can just delete the NAND and start over. I should have mentioned, I have little experience with Wii hacking. I did memory dumping with GC, and installed the HBC on a Wii I used to have. Now I'm reading up on what is available for Wii, but would also like opinions from people who have already done it.

I also wanted to ask, what system menu version is best for homebrew compatibility? I think that later versions prevent BootMii from functioning at Boot2, and also eliminate the Trucha bug. But I also think that some of these shortcomings can be changed by up/down grading different IOSes.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1