Hardware Buying a used 3DS tomorrow - Anything I should look out for?

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to probably pick it up tomorrow if I have time from someone in NY sounds like a teenager. He's selling it for $170 says there's nothing wrong with it and no scratches. So I'm going to check it out and maybe buy it.

But is there anything I should look out for? Like screen lighting of any sort? Or look in a certain jack to make sure there's no water damage?

D

Deleted_171835

xxteargodxx said:
Hazard7 said:
Mostly the 3ds region first to check.
Where would I look to check that?
Settings, the firmware is at the bottom left of the top screen.

It'll appear as 'Ver. X.X.X-XU'. X being the firmware number and U being the region. There are three regions, E (European), J (Japanese) and U (North America).

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Two vertical lines on the top screen; these are scratches and are a pain in the ass, caused by keeping the 3ds closed in a pocket or under some kind of pressure.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Check out all the buttons and sliders, turn it on and look for dead pixels on the screen, and check how badly the hinge wobbles when its open.

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well not sure if I am buying used now, found a guy selling for $185 a new one sealed in the box. But I still appreciate you guys telling me what to look for just in case I do have to buy the used one.

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay well I'm pretty sure I'm all set to go for tomorrow. If I decide to buy used I'll test it out properly to make sure that it works properly. If I decide to go with the one that is new sealed in the box I'll further inspect it to make sure it's not a fake and call Nintendo either before I buy if the seller doesn't mind to check with the serial number or after I purchase if all seems clear.

If anyone else can still post what else I should possibly keep an eye out for I'd greatly appreciate it.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Be careful, $185 for a new one sounds too good to be true. One of the latest scams going around these days is to lure someone in by offering to sell something at a great price, and then rob the person. Make sure to only meet in populated areas.

Rabbi Nevins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my 3ds used for $200 a couple weeks ago. Works flawlessly. Not a scratch on it. Some people just dont like the 3ds and want some of their money back.

They are the failures who couldnt wait until june 19th

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Seriously my friend, $170 is too good to be true.

Firstly, make sure he let's you TURN ON and TEST the system. This is crucial in every buying step.

Secondly, make sure all the controls are there. CHECK THE WHOLE THING. you won't want to just check the front of it and go home to notice that it has a missing L or styli

Thirdly, if all controls are there, TEST IT. Get a 3DS game or launch an app, and test all the controls. EVERYTHING. The circle pad, plus pad, ABXYLR, Start, Select, Home. ALL

Finally, check the region. There's one guy in our local forum selling it for only S$250 but he didn't state that it was a EUR system till later.

I suggest you save up and get one official from the store. Instead of buying this... $170 is seriously too good to be true. I got scammed before so I know the experience.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
you should also check if it still has a stylus, if the touchscreen is still working, if the circle pad is still.. uhmm circly? if the select, start, and home buttons are still working, and check it if it had been opened.

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I check the region thing? I will be okay checking out everything else buttons and stuff. I plan on buying a game before I go meet and make the sale that way I have something I can test.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's probably REALLY unlikely that you would have another region one. The simple reason is that the US 3ds sells cheaper than probably anywhere else. If it were imported from another country, it would have costed a hell of a lot, and that kind of person wouldn't sell it so cheap
tongue.gif

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
It's probably REALLY unlikely that you would have another region one. The simple reason is that the US 3ds sells cheaper than probably anywhere else. If it were imported from another country, it would have costed a hell of a lot, and that kind of person wouldn't sell it so cheap
tongue.gif
I understand that..But how could I be sure that the one I will be buying is a US based console? I don't understand how to check the region part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: