Hacking Buying a second PS3 for hacking purposes?

LittleRedRidingH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying a second ps3 so I can play "backed up" games. I already have ps3 slim 250gb but sadly it's been updated to 3.60 so it's unhackable as of yet. Do you guys think it's a good idea for me to buy another one whilst keeping my current ps3? I've paid good money for it and it's hardly been used so I really don't want to sell it. I was thinking if I buy a used ps3 and hack that instead, that way I wouldn't be too upset if something goes wrong. I'm completely new to all this so I have a feeling I might mess things up. Also which model is better for hacking purposes? Fat or slim? Thank you.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're buying used, there's no real difference between the two models and how hackable they are, so long as they haven't been updated to 3.56 or above. Just keep in mind that some fat PS3s get PS2 comparability, and that fat PS3s are more prone to YLOD.

As for whether it's a "good idea"... Nobody can answer that for you. What do you hope to get out of a hacked PS3? Piracy? Sounds like you buy the good games already, so the other games you can pick up cheaply in used game stores. Home brew? Whilst it's still relatively young, there haven't been any must-have home brew so far. Linux? You can just create an extra partition on your HDD and install it on your PC/laptop. If you think there's something you want to get out of owning a hacked console, and you are willing to spend money to get it, then go for it.

LittleRedRidingH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
If you're buying used, there's no real difference between the two models and how hackable they are, so long as they haven't been updated to 3.56 or above. Just keep in mind that some fat PS3s get PS2 comparability, and that fat PS3s are more prone to YLOD.

As for whether it's a "good idea"... Nobody can answer that for you. What do you hope to get out of a hacked PS3? Piracy? Sounds like you buy the good games already, so the other games you can pick up cheaply in used game stores. Home brew? Whilst it's still relatively young, there haven't been any must-have home brew so far. Linux? You can just create an extra partition on your HDD and install it on your PC/laptop. If you think there's something you want to get out of owning a hacked console, and you are willing to spend money to get it, then go for it.

Hi thank you ever so much for such a detailed reply. To be honest I'm only looking to do it for piracy. I feel as though over the years I've spent too much money on legit games. And if people are getting the same games for free, then why should I have to pay. I know my reasoning doesn't justify the fact that it's still wrong.

Anyway I've found someone who's selling the 40GB fat ps3 with kmeaw 3.55 cfw for £120. Is that tge right firmware for me? Like I said I'm completely new to this so I'm really not sure. Also is that a good price for a 40gb fat model? He says he's updated it to 200gb hdd. Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I won't comment on "right" or "wrong", since that won't have any sway over your actions.

3.55 is a hackable firmware. kmeaw 3.55 CFW is hacked firmware. All it really does is add the options to install .pkg files (homebrew, updates and PSN games). From there, you need to learn all about the homebrew available, the backup managers available (MultiMAN being the most prominent one) and any other features of CFW you may be interested in (Linux). Take your time and do your homework (reading up guides on forums like this) and you'll come to understand what the scene actually looks like (which isn't that much really).

I won't comment on the price, or the pros/cons of an upgraded HDD. It's up to you how much you're willing to pay for a used console, and the size of the HDD doesn't make any difference to me (I use an external 1TB HDD).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte