Buying a refurbished/used Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Jay L, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jay L
    OP

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    Considering the 5.5.2 update is so new, if I bought a used system from GameStop or even Nintendo what are the odds that it would come with latest firmware?
    Anyone have any recent experience with this?
    I feel like going through GameStop online should be an almost guarantee to get firmware below 5.5.2 but Nintendo has a better return policy jusy in case the firmware isn't what I need (and since it's manfacturer refurbished I think I'm better off with what Nintendos selling)
    Been waiting for the price of the Wii U to drop for a long time now but it seems very difficult to get for under $200 (at that price I feel like I'm almost better getting a 2nd Switch to put in a closet)

Basically anyone have any very recent experience buying a refurbished Wii U from nintendo or GameStop? I don't think either of them will be upgrading the firmware on their existing stock but who knows.

Just looking for some advice,
    Thanks
    (with so much attention on the Switch I'm worried it might be a very long time before 5.5.2 becomes exploited and want to get in while I still can; kinda shocked they even released new firmware)

2. Trumpasaurus

Trumpasaurus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2017
    United States
    It would very likely be on 5.5.1. 95% chance. Although, since it's a used system, would it really matter? You could just return it if it has the wrong firmware version.

3. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    I would very doubt that it would be the latest firmware (at the current time) since the update is only a week old. Maybe perhaps look on ebay or amazong for wiius that were put on sale before the update release. Any brand new wii u's will pretty much be impossible to have the newest firmware update since production of the wii u has long ended.

4. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    If you're buying from craigslist/Facebook, the first question you ask is if it's been turned on and used in the past week (if it is, its likely updated to 5.5.2). This question will become harder to answer the longer you wait.

If you're buying a refurb from eBay/Amazon/Gamestop, odds are very good that it's on 5.5.1 or lower. Amazon has a great return policy, and you can engage with an eBay seller before you commit to purchase. Gamestop I don't know, I don't believe they refund unless defective.

I scored a clean Wii U 32GB with 5.5.1 + 2 Wii Motion Plus controllers, plus 2 Wii U Tablets (why they have two, I don't know) with charging dock for $150. She stated it was disconnected and not turned on for almost six months; the battery charge on the tablets confirmed this!

Best of luck to you!

5. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Well apparently an exploit was found in the crunchyroll app. So you will probably have a primary entry in 5.5.2 soon

peteruk likes this.
  6. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    do you have a link to the person who found this?

7. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
  8. Kleyon

Kleyon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2017
    France
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/going-forward-with-5-5-2-what-you-need-to-know.478342/
    This topic too where he was already pointing to Crunchyroll :

Last edited by Kleyon, Jul 24, 2017
  9. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
  10. Thesteelman

Thesteelman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Anyone know how you get the crunchyroll app?

11. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    -_- Where do you think?

12. Thesteelman

Thesteelman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Sorry new to the WiiU world. I looked in the eshop and it said it couldn't find the app.

13. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    What did you search up?

14. Thesteelman

Thesteelman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Crunchyroll, should I of searched for something else?

15. CXNELP

CXNELP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    United States
    strange, no that's the right one. What region do you live in?

16. Thesteelman

Thesteelman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    United Kingdom
    UK... Do I need to change to the US region maybe?

17. ibroxgaz

ibroxgaz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    United Kingdom
    just search for crunchy m8

18. Cloudhats

Cloudhats Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    I got my wii u like 3 weeks ago and it was 5.5.1. at gamestop. The ones that already are boxed up and ready to sell are sitting at 5.5.1 and they don't want to take them out just to update them. Better get one sooner than later because people are trading in and buying all the time. The ones that are getting trade in now are going to be reset and updated to the latest verison. Same probably goes for nintendo refurbed as well. The more you wait the higher the you will get a 5.5.2 model.

19. nintendofan86

nintendofan86 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2017
    United States
    i just got a nintendo refurbed last week. it came with 5.4.0 so it worked out for me.

20. Klez2

Klez2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2017
    United States
    Just bought 2 Wii U, 1 used from Amazon warehouse deals (30 day return) and another refurbished from Nintendo directly (no returns but 2 year warranty).

Amazon = 5.5.1
    Nintendo = 5.4.0

The one from Amazon was in rough shape. Scratches, bent/worn cords, loud optical drive. The one from Nintendo looked brand new, not a mark on it, with a quiet optical drive. Also came with a game and literature. Easily upgraded to 5.1.1 for better homebrew with Paper Mario Color Splash retail disc. You could even walk into GameStop and ask to borrow a copy to upgrade with it or just "rent" a used copy and return within 7 days for full money back.

Order from Nintendo before the stock is depleted. Both units sold for $200.

Robbytron and bostonBC like this.