Buying a PS3 of eBay

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CheatingSoi, Jul 6, 2009.

Jul 6, 2009

Buying a PS3 of eBay by CheatingSoi at 4:35 AM (618 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    If I were to purchase a broken PS3 on ebay, is their an easy repair? What part of the system that is broken should I look for? Some say the system powers on but no visual and some say the drive wont read disks and so forth. Anyone think this is a good idea to get a cheap PS3 or not?

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Personally I wouldn't... You might think you're saving a few bucks but there is the fact the console doesn't work and the parts could cost more then a new or ~working~ second hand one. There is also the issue of no warranty.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    If you have to ask, then you're almost definitely not going to be able to repair it yourself.

4. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Not worth the risk in my opinion.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    As above if your not confident with electronics and using a screwdriver to disassemble one then leave well alone ... of you want to see how its done watch the video guide in the PS3 section its a lot of work just getting to the parts!

On the other hand if its really dirt cheap to get a Sony repair for it... its about £150($245)

If you can get the busted PS3 for next to nothing including shipping from the seller (as they aint light consoles nor small! ...They mostly send stuff that size/weight courier/special delivery and courier etc charge by the kg!, ...hence some eBay sales state pickup only!)

..... Then maby you could be onto a winner if it works out less than buying a new one in total just doing the swap with Sony and your cash! [​IMG]

edit:

You may wanna take a look at this first before a hasty buy from eBay bestbuy ps3 80gb with MGS and KZ2 for $400