OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I'm buying a wii secondhand and the owner doesn't know if his wii is softmodded or modded with a chip... What is the most easy way to see which one it is short of opening the wii?

I'd prefer it to be modded with something like wiikey because as I understand it, it's less worry over time when upgrading the firmware and so on... (I don't want to have to think much... just play... and try out some homebrews)

Thanks

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well when he hasn't any homebrew shit on his menu and he can play from the disc channel. It's most likely he has a modchip. Ofcourse he could have cioscorp!!!

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you could get a backup copy of Wario land shake it, put the game in and start it up. If its softmod or flatmod'd you'll be stuck at 3x read speed and the opening movies will be rather stuttery. If its a true drive mod chip, then the movie should be smooth.

I would also think using something like anytile deleter would also show you whats been installed, but it helps to know what to look for.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Easy way to tell. Run a burnt game from the disc channel. If it works, try tunning the hackmii installer. If that works, modchip.

If it doesn't, cIOScorp.

If the game doesn't work, its a softmod if he's got the Homebrew channel.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heres how i would check...

turn the wii on while holding reset. youll know if it has preloader installed.
look at the slot light when turning on the wii with a sd card with the bootmii files inserted. you can tell if bootmii is installed.

bannerbomb->ATD. you can see what is installed on the wii, what versions of all IOS, DVDX, cIOS, etc and it wont leave any trace that you were ever there. just dont delete anything while you are poking around.

try a burned game in the disc channel. if it works and you dont have all the cioscorp IOS then it has a chip

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zentis said:
I'd prefer it to be modded with something like wiikey because as I understand it, it's less worry over time when upgrading the firmware and so on... (I don't want to have to think much... just play... and try out some homebrews)

Thanks

That won't work.

1. There's stuff on running backups with a modchip you HAVE to think about, but most modchip users are too (...) to accept that. If you only run REAL 1:1 copies from the correct region, then and only then you don't have to worry about firmware.

2. If nintendo releases a homebrew killer update in the future your homebrew will go eventually.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Also,
Best way : Open the thing and see it for yourself (a modded wii too can have cioscorp or similar stuff)
Fallback : Open the sd slot lid, remove the sd card... Insert a game into the drive, you can see leds blinking there if you have a relatively new modchip.

By the way "Owner doesn't know if it's hardmodded" already suggest that it's softmodded. If it was hardmodded then it would have been "Owner doesn't know which chip the wii have"...

D

Deleted-171178

Just use Title Lister to check the IOS, and AnyTitleDeleter to check the channels.

zentis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Thanks everybody for all the answers, I'll try using a backup copy of Wario land shake it, ask him for the date when he bought his wii (if it's more than a year then it's definitely a chip) and try to use the hackmii installer to test for cioscorp

@Wiipower Well I'm currently living in China and the only way to get will games is to buy the pirated games there.... So unless I download the games, I won't always be able to tell the region.... So, yes I guess I'll have to think a bit :-( oh well...

@WiiCrazy In china, before when the softmods didn't work that well, all the new wii sold in shops were modded (because nintendo didn't officially sell the nintendo wii there anyway and all the games you can get are pirated).... Now all the shops sell the wii with softmods...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool