Buying a new PSP, can I hack? What do I need?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Salazar-DE, Nov 20, 2011.

Nov 20, 2011
  1. Salazar-DE
    OP

Newcomer Salazar-DE Newbie

Canada
    I've been reading around and I'm a little nervous. I'm thinking of buying this new for $100 and getting a $30 pro duo to hack with, can the latest PSP-3000s be hacked? Is there anything special that has to be done to them?

I found this that may be useful to me, but if you can suggest better things I'm all ears.
    http://psp.dashhacks.com/2011/10/29/psp-custom-firmware-pro-b10-fix-1-released

2. Ravte

Member Ravte GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    All the latest PSP 3000s and PSP GO's are hackable with 6.60 CFW's.
    There is nothing special you have to do to them.
    Just keep in mind that you can and will brick your PSP if you're trying to downgrade it past what it came out with. (there is a method to go around this, but it's still in beta and takes some effort to it)

The link you posted is a fix for the 1k and 2k PSP models so just go with the normal Pro B10.

E* Here's a link to a guide to get you started.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    If you're unsure whether or not your PSP can be downgraded to 6.20 for the permanent CFW, just stick with 6.60 LFCW.

3. Salazar-DE
    OP

Canada
    So if I buy the new PSP I'll have to re-hack for a short time every time I restart the PSP. Are there any disadvantages to 6.60 CFW? Any homebrew that doesn't work or things I should look out for?

Thank you for the detailed response!

4. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Nope, no disadvantages. It's not like how tethered idevice jailbreaks work. You can instantaneously enter 'hacked' state by pressing 'X' twice. You can go into hacked state straight on the psp by booting a homebrew called fast recovery from the XMB, which only takes about 5 seconds. But this only applies when you cold boot (boot up your psp from a shut-down state; not to be confused with stand-by/sleep mode). If you put your psp into stand-by/sleep mode in a hacked state, it'll still be in a hacked state when you turn it back on.

5. Salazar-DE
    OP

Canada
    Looks like I'll be getting the shiny new PSP 3000 then. Thinking Memory Stick Pro Duo 8gb, $26, then I'm gonna load up MGS1!

Thank you so much for the help :)

Edit: Would it be smarter to use a different memory stick?

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If it's an official memory stick from an official retailer (meaning nor chinese crap) it should be fine.

7. Salazar-DE
    OP

Canada
    Now I've got a bit of a dilemma. I can get the 8gb pro duo (LEXAR, old version Magic Gate) for roughly the same price as a 4gb pro duo (Sony, Mark 2). I heard the Mark 2 has faster read/write speeds and that may be great for games, but the space difference is huge. Would you say the Mark 2 has enough of a difference in load times to make up for the lost space?

Nevermind, I'm going either 8gb or 16gb after checking out how large games are.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah with games topping out at 1.8 gigs (and some still needing a data install after that), a 4GB is going to be a tight squeeze.

9. Salazar-DE
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for all of your responses as well as your guide. You're an incredible help and it's much appreciated! I'm already going in the right direction with emulation and this is going even more smoothly than my Wii hack :)

10. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

To be honest, I would just get a PSP Go. You can often get them for about the same price and they all can be downgraded to 6.20 and have 16GB built in. Another great feature is built in save states (you have to enter recovery and select an option to prevent suspend/savestate files from being deleted after resuming a game). The lack of a UMD slot isn't that big of a deal if you fly the Jolly Roger.

11. MadHouse38

Member MadHouse38 GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    You can get CFW PRO b10 6.60 Its very easy to add. and its the best,for me.

You just need to boot it everytime you turn your psp on,or you can get 6.20 with perma patch.