Buying a new N3DS for AL9H?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Deaga, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Deaga
    OP

Deaga Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2007
    Brazil
    I recently found out about the AL9H exploits and everything you can do with them... But unfortunately, my system is updated to 11.0.0.X, so I can't downgrade in order to install the exploit. I was thinking about buying a new N3DS (yeah, that sounds odd, doesn't it?), but then it hit me:

Are 11.0.0.X N3dS already being sold? Do I need to be on lookout for serial numbers (or any other clue) or can I buy any system (for now) and get an exploitable firmware version?

Thanks in advance!

2. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    You are pretty safe buying a New N3DS from the store at this point. if its something that concerns you, buy something with a generous return policy if possible. Two I bought less than 2 weeks ago had ver 9.9, and 9.6 on them

Deaga likes this.
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I think 10.5 is the highest reported currently (from fire emblem fates consoles which were produced recently). Now is the time to get in if you want guaranteed freehax :-)

Deaga likes this.
  4. Deaga
    OP

Deaga Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2007
    Brazil
    Oh, so the N3DS being sold have old enough firmware that even browserhax works on them? That's nice to know! :)

EDIT- While we're at this: is it possible to make a system transfer from a "normal" system to a hacked one? Suppose I buy a new N3DS, install AL9H, update it to 11.0.0.X (I can do that after I install the exploit, right?). Can I make a system transfer from my old system to the new one to keep my digital games or will that mess up the hacks? I know that worst case scenario I can just install .CIAs of all of my games and transfer the saves via SVDT (I can get homebrew working on my current system I think, I just can't downgrade it), but a system transfer seems like much less of a headache than that.

Last edited by Deaga, Jun 3, 2016
  5. EmperorOfCanada

EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 4, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    If you follow Plailects guide (the guide currently most often recommended to get CTW set up) you will end up on 11.X custom firmware (pretty much fully futureproof and updatable)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ive never done this myself so I cant say from personal experience, but the guide FAQ says:

Q: What about System Transfers?
    A: Once you have completed the guide, you can system transfer to and from an arm9loaderhax'd 3DS or 2DS exactly like you would a regular stock console or EmuNAND (you will lose any non-legitimate games/themes/DLC in the transfer; saves will stay even for games that are lost).

Deaga and Dhaze like this.
  6. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes you can do a system transfer. For non-legit CIAs that don't transfer, the game data will still be there and you can make it appear using CIAngel or similar to install the tickets. If you have a game not available on the title database, you can install the game .cia again with FBI except it will only take a second as it will detect the previous install.

Deaga likes this.
  7. Deaga
    OP

Deaga Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2007
    Brazil
    So I can do a system transfer but will lose non-legit CIAs. That means I'll lose my eShop games, right? Or will I keep those, as the NNID goes along with the system transfer and they're not really (or are they CIAs)? My current system has no CFW at all, but I mostly bought my games from the eShop, which is why I ask...

If I lose the games, but keep the saves, can I get them again as CIAs and use my old save files?

In any case, thanks for all the answers. I really want to be sure of everything before I buy another system for this. :)

8. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    If information is accurate above eshop games are legit and yes if you lose games as long as you have those saves just install the cia and inject it

Deaga likes this.
  9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    All legitimately bought stuff will transfer since Nintendo's servers show you as owning them.

Deaga likes this.
  10. Deaga
    OP

Deaga Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2007
    Brazil
    Oh, that's even better. Thanks!

11. zeldaism

zeldaism GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 19, 2016
    United States
    Make sure you follow plailects guide thoroughly! Skip 1 step and your 3ds will brick! Take your time when following the guide. Good luck.:)

Deaga likes this.