Hacking Buying a new card CycloDS or Acekard?

Maser00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I'm currently using an R4SDHC with actually really sucks since it isn't updated and I can't get YSMenu to work on it. So I'm buying a new card, but I don't want to waste my money again so I'm asking your opinion. Form what I read I think a CycloDS or Acekard is the best choice, but I'm not sure. What card should I buy and does anyone have experience with online shops from the UK, Belgium or Netherlands ?

Thanks in advance,
Maser00

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a DSi, you can forget about the CycloDS. It doesn't work on DSi's. AceKard will work on DSi. But if you do have a DSi, I'd recommend the SCDS2 since it has the extra CPU to play GBA games and various GBA homebrew.

If you have a DSlite or phat....it's your choice. Just avoid anything labeled R4 or N5.

You didn't say what version of DS you have.

Even though I have a CycloDS and enjoy it very much, I find it hard to recommend. It's just not very future proof since it only works in regular DS's. I'd say your best choices, regardless of what version DS you have, would be the AceKard or SCDS2.

Maser00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi, thanks for you reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention the version, I have an Nintendo DS Lite. The SCDS2 looks cool since you can also play GBA games, but does in work on DS Lite? In isn't a problem if it can't, don't know any good GBA games anymore
tongue.gif

So the best choice would be an AceKard then? I have an 4 gig micro SDHC card from my R4SDHC, will this card also work on an AceKard?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maser00 said:
Hi, thanks for you reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention the version, I have an Nintendo DS Lite. The SCDS2 looks cool since you can also play GBA games, but does in work on DS Lite? In isn't a problem if it can't, don't know any good GBA games anymore
tongue.gif

So the best choice would be an AceKard then? I have an 4 gig micro SDHC card from my R4SDHC, will this card also work on an AceKard?
Here's my advice, because you have a DS Lite, you should get an Acekard 2i, bundled with an EZ Flash 3in1.
If we're talking about shoptemp, then...
Option 1:
Acekard 2i (standalone): $15
EZ Flash 3in1: $20

Option 2:

Supercard DSTwo (standalone): $35.

If you're interested in GBA games, Option 1 has perfect compatibility, you store GBA roms on the Acekard, and they are loaded into the EZ Flash in Slot 2 and played natively.
Option 2 lets you emulate GBA games which is far from perfect.

Or you could just buy an Acekard alone with 4gb memory, that should work great if you're not concerned about GBA games.
smile.gif

The DSTwo has a number of things going for it, notably the GBA emulator, the realtime guides, realtime saves, and "free cheats", as well as in the future, SNES emulation and DivX video support.
But if you just want to play DS games, save $20 and just go for the Acekard.
smile.gif

Maser00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think I'm going for just an Acekard2i looks good and it's very cheap. I'll buy it from the link RupeeClock gave me, looks cheap and professional.

Thanks for helping everyone.

EDIT: the shipping takes 2-5 weeks, that's very long and since I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks so I can't order it now... And UPS is too expensive, more than the card itself...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maser00 said:
I think I'm going for just an Acekard2i looks good and it's very cheap. I'll buy it from the link RupeeClock gave me, looks cheap and professional.

EDIT: the shipping takes 2-5 weeks, that's very long and since I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks so I can't order it now... And UPS is too expensive, more than the card itself...
They estimate free shipping takes 2-5 weeks, but some people have reportedly received their packages in just a week on free shipping.
It's a gamble, but if you're leaving in 3 weeks it may arrive before you leave for holiday.

Hope that helps.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Maser00 said:

They estimate free shipping takes 2-5 weeks, but some people have reportedly received their packages in just a week on free shipping.
It's a gamble, but if you're leaving in 3 weeks it may arrive before you leave for holiday.

Hope that helps.
You can try to order from a shop somewhere in Europe. Look here for a list of good ones: http://gbatemp.net/t33039-gbatemp-s-offici...ashcart-dealers

JabbaFlap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acekard 2i is ace on my dsi xl, been playing old classics like CV, FF and DQ and the bigger screens and excellent speakers is a real WoW!
can't wait to try dq9 on it {drool!} ;P

Prince Valmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Here's my advice, because you have a DS Lite, you should get an Acekard 2i, bundled with an EZ Flash 3in1.
Option 1:

Option 2:

If you're interested in GBA games, Option 1 has perfect compatibility, you store GBA roms on the Acekard, and they are loaded into the EZ Flash in Slot 2 and played natively.

Or you could just buy an Acekard alone with 4gb memory, that should work great if you're not concerned about GBA games.
smile.gif

The DSTwo has a number of things going for it, notably the GBA emulator, the realtime guides, realtime saves, and "free cheats", as well as in the future, SNES emulation and DivX video support.
smile.gif

I'm a bit confused by how you worded this. If I chose option two, the SCDS2. It will emulate GBA games, but that it's "far from perfect." Are you saying that the compatibility is very low, the emulation is fragile, or that the speed is low? I'm thinking about picking up a DSi XL, but looking for the right card. If it plays all the DS games, then hands down, it's already a great choice. If you're telling me that it's also able to emulate .gba games, that's even better. But when you say "far from perfect", that gets me wondering of the potential pitfalls. What's the review?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The DSTWO is the best cart. For the GBA Emulator I believe there is frame skipping in some games, and button lag in some games too. Both of these have the potential to be fixed in a later software update. I believe the GBA compatibilty is good.

There is an option to allow the GBA emulator to use more processing power to reduce the fram skipping/ lag, but it will cause it to use more battery power.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Prince Valmont said:
RupeeClock said:
Option 1:

Option 2:

smile.gif

smile.gif

I'm a bit confused by how you worded this. If I chose option two, the SCDS2. It will emulate GBA games, but that it's "far from perfect." Are you saying that the compatibility is very low, the emulation is fragile, or that the speed is low? I'm thinking about picking up a DSi XL, but looking for the right card. If it plays all the DS games, then hands down, it's already a great choice. If you're telling me that it's also able to emulate .gba games, that's even better. But when you say "far from perfect", that gets me wondering of the potential pitfalls. What's the review?

what he's saying is the ez flash 3-in-1 has the best comparability for gba gmaea and homebrew
the scds2 gba emu is still new and has good compatability, but has never really been tested exstensively, but it's major shortcoming is gba homebrew the scds2 just for some reason refuses to play 90% of gba homebrew, this should be fixed in the future but their are no guarrenties. the biggest issue of ezflash 3-in-1 is that the battery dies within a year so you sill lose all saves and will be unable to save anything unless you repalce it or open it up to replace the battery. the scda2 does not have this problem
so their are the trade off's personaly I would recammend a scds2 and a ezflash3-in-1 but only if your willing to shell out the cash ( a scds2 + ezflash 3-in-1 + a micro sd card [I reccamend a 4-8gb] put's you at about $100)
you can use an ezflash 3-in-1 with a scds2 so if you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play...