Hardware Buying a GBA Flash Cart in 2012

PeoplePower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So recently I have started playing some old GBA games via emulation and I wanted to know if any flash carts can still be bought today. If any of you know where i can get the EV Flash IV preferably for a cheap price and from a legit website.

Arranf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only flashcart you're likely to find with any ease is the EZ-Flash IV which happens to be one of the better models around.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Another option is to buy a GBA hardware clone that includes a SD card slot. If you search gbatemp for something like "A GBA 1:1 clone with extras" you will find it. Be careful though as many of them use crappy software emulation like the Dingoo rather than the real GBA hardware with a SD interface added.

Auyx

GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator
Trophies
XP
Country
Another option is to buy a GBA hardware clone that includes a SD card slot. If you search gbatemp for something like "A GBA 1:1 clone with extras" you will find it. Be careful though as many of them use crappy software emulation like the Dingoo rather than the real GBA hardware with a SD interface added.

Yer, most of these are emu based, I would personally recommend you grab a Gameboy Micro and an EZ Flash IV the micro really is a thing of beauty and honestly the sexiest looking thing Nintendo ever made.

Edit: Although these look pretty cool actually:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjG3yPGa7jE&feature=player_embedded#![/yt]

Markitus95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a EZ-Flash IV for Christmas and they are really easy to get. I can tell you it's one of the best GBA flashcarts, it works perfectly except for some games that need save patches and Pokémon RSE (no RTC).

eastbayarb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I personally dont reccomend a clone. If you are gonna deal with emulation, might as well just use a PSP. I have an SP model AGS-101, which is the front lit version. I can also play regular gameboy games on it.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
YFI , you can just buy a sc dstwo to play the GBA games in case that you get over the GBA games or get a 3ds with latest version some day.

It's emulation on a relatively weak CPU; you can play some with acceptable performance, but many run poorly or not at all.

Exophase's gpSP on a PSP/other platforms is better, but you cant beat running the game on the original hardware for accuracy and speed :)

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't mind it being on a different console, and a slightly higher cost, you can emulate GBA games very easily on a PSP without a flash cart, models 3000, 2000, and 1000. (Not sure about the Go capability, and Vita is more difficult.) Amazon is selling the 3000 model for $99, and you can probably find it cheaper from somewhere else, unless you already have a PSP. :)

Go here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP#Gameboy_Advance

I've had great results with this one - UO gpSP Kai 3.4 Test 3 Build 92 which you can download from Filetrip at the link.

You'll need CFW (custom firmware), and a memory stick duo that has a high enough capacity for the amount of games you want to put on there. This website will hook you up with all the firmware files you need and the directions to do it.

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

Make sure you have the cord that supports miniUSB and regular USB to connect the system to your computer.

I really like this method because now I can play my GBA games with a backlit screen, no hardware modding either. Also, no batteries, and it's still just as portable! :)

In the long run, this may be better than getting a flash cart. The system will also let you emulate tons others, all listed in the Wiki link I posted. :) Good luck!

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you don't mind it being on a different console, and a slightly higher cost, you can emulate GBA games very easily on a PSP without a flash cart, models 3000, 2000, and 1000. (Not sure about the Go capability, and Vita is more difficult.) Amazon is selling the 3000 model for $99, and you can probably find it cheaper from somewhere else, unless you already have a PSP. :)

Go here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP#Gameboy_Advance

I've had great results with this one - UO gpSP Kai 3.4 Test 3 Build 92 which you can download from Filetrip at the link.

You'll need CFW (custom firmware), and a memory stick duo that has a high enough capacity for the amount of games you want to put on there. This website will hook you up with all the firmware files you need and the directions to do it.

http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

Make sure you have the cord that supports miniUSB and regular USB to connect the system to your computer.

I really like this method because now I can play my GBA games with a backlit screen, no hardware modding either. Also, no batteries, and it's still just as portable! :)

In the long run, this may be better than getting a flash cart. The system will also let you emulate tons others, all listed in the Wiki link I posted. :) Good luck!

A PSP is good for stuff like this, way better than getting a GBA clone, or a flashcart, you get a lot more with just a little bit more money ($50-$20 bucks more if you get a GBA + Flashcart, or a GBA clone). PSP can also emulate the N64 well IIRC, and PSX also, and you get access to the whole PSP library, which is nice. All PSPs are hackable as well, so that's good. I would get one myself, but I've decided personally to wait and see how the Vita scene develops.

It's a much better investment, and depending where you get it, much more bang for your buck, as well.

Reactions: Xarsah16

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I always personally enjoyed having a GBA flash cart. GBA was a really solid system for it's time, and is still very useful to this time as well. The PSP obviously is more advanced, and there's stuff on it that is impressive, but I was always content with my GBA and flashcart. I always looked at my M3 as a maximizer for my GBA, basically using it to it's full potential.

GBA flash carts are officially dying/dead now though with the EZ4 being gone, being the last flash cart to be made, so if you can't find a used one, then it most likely is time to either be content with using a GBA normally, or get a different device like the PSP or something else.

grindbart

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i know we're in 2nd half of 2013 now,but who of u got his flashcards delivered?want to get me a EZ-IV as spare for my GBM,but dont know where to buy (in germany they want 60€ for it,much money!)

can some of u dudes help me out?!

thanks in advance!

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Tiger crust is great.