Hacking Buying a Flashcart with restrictions

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm new here. Go easy on me, please.
tongue.gif

I'm looking to get my first and probably last flashcart, and it needs to be
from Amazon.com. The things I want for it are:
Play NDS games, I don't really need GBA.
Be able to run an internet browser of some kind.
Be able to run DScraft.
Maybe even some other applications. Not all.
And that's mostly it. I don't want it over $30. But if it needs to be, I guess that's that.
Thanks y'all!
Cheezwiz

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
From the sounds of it, one of the cheap WoodR4 compatible R4s or an Acekard would suit you just fine. Both should be below like $15 (don't know about Amazon though...). You might as well toss your DS if you need an internet browser that goes beyond text and maybe basic image support because there isn't very many internet browsers of any kind for the DS.

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe the only flashcarts you can pick up on Amazon are Action Replay's, and for god sakes dont get one of those.

I would say Acekard 2i if you change your mind on Amazon

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses! I really appreciate it.
Found this on amazon: not exactly sure what it is, as the product name is like 10+ words, but it's some
kind of R4: [link]
If you search "DS Flashcards" or "R4 DS" you get quite a few results, I just don't know how to determine if it would run
WoodR4. Could anyone help with that?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps if you'll tell us why you're restricted to amazon.com we might be able to suggest a workaround for you.
That's the part that's really hurting you right now.

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah, I guess internet browsing sounds pretty unlikely at this point, not a high priority anyway.
And with that restriction on Amazon, I guess that's not where I'd get it.
So really, what kind of R4s run Wood? I don't actually know.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheezwiz said:
Hah, I guess internet browsing sounds pretty unlikely at this point, not a high priority anyway.
And with that restriction on Amazon, I guess that's not where I'd get it.
So really, what kind of R4s run Wood? I don't actually know.

If you're not actually constrained to Amazon, then what you're looking for (according to your other criteria) is an Acekard2i.

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
If you're not actually constrained to Amazon, then what you're looking for (according to your other criteria) is an Acekard2i.
Ah, ok. I thank you much! That's going to be it then...
EDIT: Can you guys confirm that Shoptemp is completely secure and safe? I'm not quite sure...
EDIT 2: Just a few more questions otherwise:
On the page for DScraft, there are two download options: NitroFS
and FAT. What does this mean, what's the difference, and which one would I use?
What SD card size would be recommended for my needs?
Also, I may be an idiot, but how do I order from Shoptemp? I see no "add to cart" button... I've never bought online and not seen one...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Shoptemp doesn't sell things, it lists sites you can buy from, it's gbatemp's shop listing.

NitroFS and FAT are two different versions because some older flash carts don't support everything, but the Acekard 2i and any R4 that runs an official version of Wood will work with both.

DS games can be 8-512 MB in size, most are 16-64 (the 3D ones and larger RPGs tend to be the bigger ones).

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Shoptemp doesn't sell things, it lists sites you can buy from, it's gbatemp's shop listing.

NitroFS and FAT are two different versions because some older flash carts don't support everything, but the Acekard 2i and any R4 that runs an official version of Wood will work with both.

DS games can be 8-512 MB in size, most are 16-64 (the 3D ones and larger RPGs tend to be the bigger ones).

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding about Shoptemp. I saw the seller of the week carried the flashcart of my desire, I assume that would be trustworthy?
So at max all I really need is 8 GB microsd?
And thanks for explaining the NitroFS and FAT.
Thanks so much guys! It's made this all easier.

claudekennilol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a 16 gig card with about 12 gigs of data on it. I also have all of my gba and gb games on it, and a lot of pdfs. You really don't need one as big as mine, though. I just don't like going back to my pc to switch out games (ever), so I opted for the larger one.

Cheezwiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The current shop of the week doesn't look bad, I'd see no problem ordering there myself.

I've got an 8GB, and I have 92 DS games in addition to a collection of homebrew.

You can "trim" DS ROMs to make them smaller by removing padding, the savings depend on the game.
92 games and homebrew programs? Holy Bajesus that's crazy.
But I found a shop that's got the 2i for $14, cheapest of all. It's called Game Play Fun, link here, and while it is the cheapest, and it's got good customer reviews, I don't know to trust it or not.
Thanks much.

punkd4life3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought my Ak2i from Gameplayfun. Fast shipping. The card works great. Only complaint is shipping cost... If you want to get it free you should sign up here and do some offers. I have gotten over $100 worth of stuff including a Nerf Case and Black Ops for my Ps3

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You guys in the US are lucky. Here in the UK, the only safe place to buy flashcarts is Xpertron and they slap hefty prices on everything because they are the ONLY one
frown.gif

Themanhunt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
emigre said:
Themanhunt said:
You guys in the US are lucky. Here in the UK, the only safe place to buy flashcarts is Xpertron and they slap hefty prices on everything because they are the ONLY one
frown.gif

Online Chinese shops, Bro.

Which take 3 weeks and if something does go wrong with the product, it's a big-ass hassle getting it sorted when they're in Chinaland.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P