Hacking [Buy] The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time 3DS (Gateway 3.1)

Traiver

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey community,

I want to buy a OoT game from gamestop for my n3DS XL MH4U (9.2-20E)

My question is: What do I have to look for when I buying a secondhand Oot game that must work with my n3DS? And: Do I need another stuff for set up my n3DS? (I have a 3DS XL White (4.5) with Gateway 2.7))

Thanks in advance!

-Traiver

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has the manual included it's the new version that won't work.

You'll have to stick it in your 3DS and check, return it if it's the wrong one.

Good luck finding a copy though, every store within 50 miles of me is sold out thanks to scalpers >_> and GS raised their price astronomically to profit off of Gateway exploit popularity as well.

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had better luck on craigslist. Put a wanted add. (assuming that exists internationally?)
Bought my copy for $25 and once I had the exploit working I was really proud of myself.
Then someone emailed me saying they'd sell their copy for $20.
I could have saved $5 :(

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They just stick "compatible with 2DS" on the outside of the boxes, at least here in the states... it's literally a sticker that the retailer puts on the box. So that doesn't tell you anything.

Well, mine has the manual included and it's work with the gw original save. :unsure:

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I'm saying...

The manual was added in the newer version, that's how you can tell. Re-read what I said, I said "the new version that won't work" :P

You won't be able to tell just by looking at the box or cartridge itself. They're identical.

Traiver

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm.. I'll try it out then. If it wont work the first time, then I hope I can fix it with the GW Save from sonic's thread.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pretty sure virtually all carts are compatible, i think most of the "mines not working" was down to restoring the saves incorrectly or SD card issues, its been confirmed now that both Rev0 and Rev1 both work fine, there is only a handful of people still having issues

Traiver

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure virtually all carts are compatible, i think most of the "mines not working" was down to restoring the saves incorrectly or SD card issues, its been confirmed now that both Rev0 and Rev1 both work fine, there is only a handful of people still having issues

Kk, thanks mister guru :P So my hype to get Gateway on n3DS is high.

Reactions: gamesquest1

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm pretty sure that the rev1 USA cartridge doesn't work because it uses the newer save encryption which hasn't been publicly cracked yet. The original release had an older method that is easily decrypted which is why one Gateway save can be applied to any cartridge header and still work :P

Europe's v1/v2/whatever might be different.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm pretty sure that the rev1 USA cartridge doesn't work because it uses the newer save encryption which hasn't been publicly cracked yet. The original release had an older method that is easily decrypted which is why one Gateway save can be applied to any cartridge header and still work :P

Europe's v1/v2/whatever might be different.
there is ways around the save encryption, combined with the CFW and SDF you could probably make a US Rev1 save....not that i have seen the rev that uses the 2.x save encryption.....hmmm actually iirc the way gateway made their save doesnt follow the normal save structure so i dont think their save would be potable, but yellows8 released a version of the oot save hack that uses payload.bin to store the payload rather than using a specific offset in the save file with some work i imagine there could be a SDF importable save that could be imported to any carts that arent using 1.0 save encryption

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is ways around the save encryption, combined with the CFW and SDF you could probably make a US Rev1 save....not that i have seen the rev that uses the 2.x save encryption.....hmmm actually iirc the way gateway made their save doesnt follow the normal save structure so i dont think their save would be potable, but yellows8 released a version of the oot save hack that uses payload.bin to store the payload rather than using a specific offset in the save file with some work i imagine there could be a SDF importable save that could be imported to any carts that arent using 1.0 save encryption

If I'm not mistaken, the 2.x save encryption is just different because it has to be signed for each individual cartridge header. Datel obviously cracked it, as Powersaves can modify your saves, but notice how even using Powersaves you can't restore a save from one cartridge to another for anything using the newer encryption?

With 1.0, you could simply dump the save from one cart and put it on another cart and it would work. That's why the OoT save hack works the way it does - because Gateway made one modified save and it would work on all copies of the game to use the old encryption.

Yes, you could easily convert it. SaveDataFiler can do that as well. But it won't have the same functionality, as it would only work for that one cartridge and nobody else's.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If I'm not mistaken, the 2.x save encryption is just different because it has to be signed for each individual cartridge header. Datel obviously cracked it, as Powersaves can modify your saves, but notice how even using Powersaves you can't restore a save from one cartridge to another for anything using the newer encryption?

With 1.0, you could simply dump the save from one cart and put it on another cart and it would work. That's why the OoT save hack works the way it does - because Gateway made one modified save and it would work on all copies of the game to use the old encryption.

Yes, you could easily convert it. SaveDataFiler can do that as well. But it won't have the same functionality, as it would only work for that one cartridge and nobody else's.
nope you can move the save from one cart using 2.x save encryption to another but it needs to be signed....SDF does this for you, the same exploit save would work across all 2.x save encrypted games assuming each user has access to SDF that works with retail carts i.e the 4.x CFW

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had better luck on craigslist. Put a wanted add. (assuming that exists internationally?)
Bought my copy for $25 and once I had the exploit working I was really proud of myself.
Then someone emailed me saying they'd sell their copy for $20.
I could have saved $5 :(

Or bought the second copy and sold on eBay for a net profit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.