Hardware Button, button, who's got the button...

Riversong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so this has been going on for a while. My 3DS power button has been having some issues. Sometimes when I press the button, I have to press it multiple times before it will power on. It started right after I updated it for the last major update (ie. the one that brought us the Nintendo eShop). I know I am using the correct amount of pressure, and I am fairly sure that it's not a software issue (although I am not sure). I would send it into Nintendo to get it serviced, but I have three fears/problems in doing so:

1. I use a flashcart to play DS games on occasion (Ak2i). Nintendo might find a trace of this in/on the 3DS hard drive, thus negating the warranty.

2. Even if issue 1 (listed above) is not a problem, I am afraid they would "accidentally" erase the hard drive. This happened twice with my Wii when I sent it into Nintendo, and they had to take my Wii apart, examine it, and put it back together. Long story on that, and best not to ask about it. (as the old saying goes: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). Keep in mind, that I sent in my Wii roughly about the time Animal Crossing: City Folk came out.

3. Even if one and two don't apply they may send me a refurbished model, and I still would lose my save data.

I am part of Nintendo's ambassador program, and that's thing one of a grocery list of things I don't want to lose out on by sending it in to get it fixed. Obviously if this had happened on day two of its release or even in the first month, I wouldn't mind sending it in.

Suffice it to say, I would love any feed back, or ideas anyone has. Also, if you need a few further deets, please don't hesitate to ask.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Riversong said:
Ok, so this has been going on for a while. My 3DS power button has been having some issues. Sometimes when I press the button, I have to press it multiple times before it will power on. It started right after I updated it for the last major update (ie. the one that brought us the Nintendo eShop). I know I am using the correct amount of pressure, and I am fairly sure that it's not a software issue (although I am not sure). I would send it into Nintendo to get it serviced, but I have three fears/problems in doing so:

1. I use a flashcart to play DS games on occasion (Ak2i). Nintendo might find a trace of this in/on the 3DS hard drive, thus negating the warranty.

2. Even if issue 1 (listed above) is not a problem, I am afraid they would "accidentally" erase the hard drive. This happened twice with my Wii when I sent it into Nintendo, and they had to take my Wii apart, examine it, and put it back together. Long story on that, and best not to ask about it. (as the old saying goes: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). Keep in mind, that I sent in my Wii roughly about the time Animal Crossing: City Folk came out.

3. Even if one and two don't apply they may send me a refurbished model, and I still would lose my save data.

I am part of Nintendo's ambassador program, and that's thing one of a grocery list of things I don't want to lose out on by sending it in to get it fixed. Obviously if this had happened on day two of its release or even in the first month, I wouldn't mind sending it in.

Suffice it to say, I would love any feed back, or ideas anyone has. Also, if you need a few further deets, please don't hesitate to ask.
Have you updated to the latest version? There was a known error with the power button that was fixed.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Do you know what a hard drive is? The 3DS doesn't have a hard drive... And forget the idea of Nintendo knowing you used your AceKard unless you leave it in there when you send the 3DS in.

2. Clearly you do NOT know what a hard drive is. Again, the 3DS does not have one. I'm sorry to be mean, but this gross misuse of terminology makes me doubt anything even remotely technical you say is accurate.

3. No you won't. Anything you play that is cartridge based stores its saves on the cartridge, not on the SD or any internal storage in the 3DS. DSiWare stores it's saves on the DSI/3DS's flash memory. Move them to your SD and the saves will move w/ them. Do not send the SD in w/ your 3DS and your saves will be safe.

I am quite sure Nintendo will honor your Ambassador status even if they send you a refurbished unit. They will just move that account to that unit.

I also suspect that you are just impatient and unobservant. The 3DS is VERY slow to go from being powered off to being ready to use. If it is powered off and you tap the button watch the power light. If it lights up blue, there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS you just need to wait for the thing to do all it's security checks, load the system software and actually start running. In this case, you just aren't waiting the required time and there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS.

If you press the power button all the way down on your 3DS while it is off and the blue power lite does not turn on, then yes you have a problem.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Team Fail said:
Have you updated to the latest version? There was a known error with the power button that was fixed.

i'm up-to-date and if i keep my 3ds off for a few days (or more) it takes 3-4 tries to get it to power up. if they fixed it they forget to fix it on my 3ds =P.

QUOTE(KidIce @ Aug 17 2011, 10:49 PM) If you press the power button all the way down on your 3DS while it is off and the blue power lite does not turn on, then yes you have a problem.

do you mean if he presses it and nothing happens ever? or do you mean if he presses it and has to press it a few times to have it boot up? because the latter is exactly what the 3ds is doing, its a known issue, and nintendo denies it and then attempted to address it.

@Riversong: give this a read - http://gbatemp.net/t299556-3ds-power-button-problem

-another world

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i ALWAYS have to press twice in rapid succesion. it's not an issue really. it doesnt seem to be getting worse so i'm not bothered

Riversong

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
1. Do you know what a hard drive is? The 3DS doesn't have a hard drive... And forget the idea of Nintendo knowing you used your AceKard unless you leave it in there when you send the 3DS in.

2. Clearly you do NOT know what a hard drive is. Again, the 3DS does not have one. I'm sorry to be mean, but this gross misuse of terminology makes me doubt anything even remotely technical you say is accurate.

3. No you won't. Anything you play that is cartridge based stores its saves on the cartridge, not on the SD or any internal storage in the 3DS. DSiWare stores it's saves on the DSI/3DS's flash memory. Move them to your SD and the saves will move w/ them. Do not send the SD in w/ your 3DS and your saves will be safe.

I am quite sure Nintendo will honor your Ambassador status even if they send you a refurbished unit. They will just move that account to that unit.

I also suspect that you are just impatient and unobservant. The 3DS is VERY slow to go from being powered off to being ready to use. If it is powered off and you tap the button watch the power light. If it lights up blue, there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS you just need to wait for the thing to do all it's security checks, load the system software and actually start running. In this case, you just aren't waiting the required time and there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS.

If you press the power button all the way down on your 3DS while it is off and the blue power lite does not turn on, then yes you have a problem.

Yeah, ok, so I don't know the technical term for it's memory. I do press the power button, but no blue light. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen at least once a day (usually having not used it for several hours causes this problem). I thought I read somewhere that third party programs can leave a trace on your system, hence fear one.

Fear two is still valid: they did take apart my system, and wiped it's memory, and then sent it back; claiming it was fixed. It still had the same problem when I got back the Wii.

I am not some "impatient and unobservant" person: the first thing I noticed when I got my 3DS was how slow it was powering up and down. Like I said, I have had this since day one: it worked just fine until the eshop update.

Yes, I do have it fully updated.

Also, there is some save data that gets stored on the internal memory: Sims 3DS has this feature. They pretty much tell you point blank in the instruction manual that it can send your specially created characters/avatars, even while not having the cartridge in the system. I am also pretty sure that the Miis get saved onto some sort of internal memory (not technically a game themselves, but their mini-games are just that) . This may also extend to Face Raiders gets saved to the system memory too; yes, it is a game. Additionally although the DSiware does go onto the SD card, there is still some trace of it on the system memory, otherwise you could just transfer "copies" of your DSiware to your friends' systems (sin/sans software transfer). Am I wrong in any of this?

QUOTE(Another World @ Aug 18 2011, 04:27 AM) @Riversong: give this a read - http://gbatemp.net/t299556-3ds-power-button-problem
-another world

Ahh, this makes me feel a little bit better. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this issue. Now I feel like it's bit of a conspiracy to keep the system on 24/7 (kidding on that last part).

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't feel your power button is defective. It is suppose to be hold a little before it goes into effect. Some people complains of this, some other people complains that they press the power button accidentely ..

People are never happy.

Btw, you can save your stuff on SD. Either Wii or 3DS so there is no excuse for not backing them up in case of Nintendo sends you a replace OR delete the "hdd".

Pip'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.