Busted Supercard CF...

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by gaboumafou, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007

Busted Supercard CF... by gaboumafou at 10:46 PM (856 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. gaboumafou
    OP

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hello!

I got a Supercard CF and, despite it being really old, I think it work really well. But I gave it to a friend for two weeks, and the cards came back in a pretty bad state... so bad it won't work anymore.

First, there was "something" stuck in one hole of the CF card, and the plastic around the hole was a little bit... messy. I managed to get the "thing" out of the hole. The card now fit in the card reader (it wouldn't with the thing in the hole), but my computer won't read it anymore. Here is a picture of the "destroyed hole":

[​IMG]

Second, one pin in the Supercard was bent. I managed to move it back, but it still won't read the card (when the CF is inserted, the DS won't detect the Supercard at all). But when I don't put anything in it, it start normally with the error message ("the CF is not found..."). I don't have another CF to test if it's only the CF that is broken or the Supercard too. (I haven't managed to take a good picture of the pins in the Supercard).

My warranty at Gamersection just finished, so the only option I got is to try to repair it... Where should I start? ^^"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Gaboumafou

2. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I would start by kicking your friend's Butt!

I don't know much but I think that the first step would be getting hold of a CF card from somewhere to be sure you can eliminate it if its not a problem. Bad luck on the warranty thing [​IMG]

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    why do people treat stuff like sh** even when its not theres [​IMG] I remember i gave my friend tomb raider 1 and the disc had jam on it once i got it back. I was like that jam [​IMG] I have never gave my stuff out to anyone again. Let this be a lesson learned for you also how the fu** did he manage that. If someone gives me something to borrow i look after it even better than i do my own stuff because i know the person has been really kind and let me use thier stuff for free.

4. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    That looks like a standard Kingston.. get yourself a Kingston Elite II or higher and watch the speed difference.. i'm sure the SC has survived as you state your pc+card won't read the CF either.

Anyway give your friend a gob in his coffee cup from me will ya.

5. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] SC:CF is my favorite flashcart, good price, best homebrew support of any cart, etc. (for ds phat at least, probably too big for a lite). And they don't make them any more either [​IMG]

6. falcon64z8

Member falcon64z8 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes yes and lucky I still have mine and I use it everyday with my R4! Plus the speed on the CF are way faster than the micro sd cards...

7. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    Anybody have an idea on how I could try to fix my CF card (they're so expensive... it would almost be cheaper to buy a slot1 card than to buy a new CF :S)? A tutorial on how to open the card, clean the holes, etc etc...?

8. gaboumafou
    OP

Canada
    Gamersection accepted to take it back even if my warranty is finished. Hope I will receive a replacement. Since I recently won a M3 Simply, I would have 2 flashcards and only one old PHAT DS!! [​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post... [​IMG]