Business advice and introduction.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Brooklyn, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Brooklyn
    OP

Brooklyn Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    United States
    My desire is for this post to serve as an introduction, and as a request for advice. I'm at a point in life where I can't find a balance between what I want to do, and what I'm allowed to do. Let me explain.

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to join the military. I would spend every day of my life studying the system, and training in preperation for that moment. When I finished high school, I wanted to get in ASAP, but because the recruitment process takes so long, and I couldn't get a job interview elsewhere due to the lack of opportunities, I was pressured by my family to go study something. I went ahead and got a degree, since anyway it would help me get in the military with rank. Right before completing the final courses for my degree, I started the recruitment process. Everything was going well up until the medical processing, where I got disqualified because of a very minimal physical impairment that I never even thought of having. When the recruiter got ahold of the news that I got disqualified, the recruitment process ended. I tried reaching out to other branches of the military, but none of them could do anything for my case.

Once again, my family stepped in, though this time I was only given two choices, both involved moving in with family members in completely different states. I moved in with a family member in a new state, and one week after, I landed a temporary job, which became the permanent one that I have today, two years later. I'm in love with this job, because I know how everything works, and my coworkers are very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, this job is very dependent on how busy it is, so in Winter when it's dead, I'm sort of part-time, and in the Summer when the boom hits, I'm sort of full-time. I'm only making ten dollars an hour though, and when I do the math, what I earn is barely enough for me to survive alone, if even. The family member that I'm currently living with is fully aware of this, so they're kind of pressuring me into finding a new job.

I've been mentally preparing myself to get another passion of mine ripped away from my hands, just as it happened before. I feel that as much as I love my current job, one day reality is going to bust in and I'm going to have to either quit, or be homeless. I have a few solutions in mind; one is finding another part-time job to compensate for the missing income, although my fear is that eventually I'll get cut off in the job that I love, because I won't be there when they need me the most. One other solution is starting a business related to something that I love, preferably an online business, however, I have no experience in regards to that.

I want to know if there are any people in here that have gone through a similar struggle, and how they dealt with it. I also want to know if there are any business owners that can offer advice regarding starting a business.

Last edited by Brooklyn, Dec 31, 2016