Status
Not open for further replies.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to have woken up late, because the last thread filled up quite quickly. In any case, I'm not going to weed through twelve pages of bulls**t posts(good job, thread spammers).

Let's try to keep this one free from misinformed posts, shall we?

In any case, it's my assumption that they unlocked the ability to force the drive to read any disc. This could be achieved several ways:

+ Modify the IOS, so that after a disc is read and verified, a delay is put in place that would allow someone to swap discs(ie: Action Replay).
+ Modify the IOS to read a header from a different source that would "spoof" the verification of the disc and pass through any data thereafter.
+ Redirect IOS Syscalls from DI to SDIO\UHCI and store the ISO on an SD card or USB Drive. From there, the bootloader could direct back to the DVD drive.

Any thoughts?

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I kinda would prefer the USB Stick / SD card trick...

mod the IOS, but keep it so if the hack isn't on a USB stick or on the SD card, it will only load legit games, but if it see's the hack on either, it'll load it, so you can play your backups...

Makes it a little harder for people to know you have the hack installed, and you can freak your friends out with it, lol

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
I guess the third one is the most probable, since IOS hacking has been the main discussion these days and a lot of info has been made public(PatchMii).

If I only had a way of rewriting the NAND back to my Wi...

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jayparadox said:
I guess the third one is the most probable, since IOS hacking has been the main discussion these days and a lot of info has been made public(PatchMii).

If I only had a way of rewriting the NAND back to my Wi...

What parts do you need to write?

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
In case of a brick, with the Infectus or whatever.

I've got all these ideas in my head for hacking IOS, but I don't dare to make the System Menu use those IOS in case of a brick.

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
(Sorry for the spam in the last thread)

Anyway, I think that what really needs to come out of this hack is a program equivelent of GCOS for the gamecube. It will give us region free and trucha copatability (already done in gecko OS) and obviously this backup disk loader. I like the idea of having to have that SD or USB mod, and the way i see it is you can have two options.

1. Modify the IOS so it will always read backup games
2. (The third idea) so that when a game is booted through "WIIOS" it will read it and run, but it will not run if it is not booted through this. This one works nicely, as it is exactly what the name implies, a softmod. (Would this work for gamecube games too?)

Also, WIIOS could come as its own channel, to save the need of having to boot through the Hombrew channel etc.

And one last idea, The next thing that needs to be developed is a way to boot Gamecube Homebrew (SDLoad?) from either the homebrew channel, from the wii menu, or as i said earlier, make the WiiOS capable of booting gamecube games/homebrew too.

zidane_genome said:
I kinda would prefer the USB Stick / SD card trick...

mod the IOS, but keep it so if the hack isn't on a USB stick or on the SD card, it will only load legit games, but if it see's the hack on either, it'll load it, so you can play your backups...

Makes it a little harder for people to know you have the hack installed, and you can freak your friends out with it, lol

I agree, because this way you arent modifying the wiis firmware in any way, so nothing can really go badly wrong "touch wood"

(Im keeping everything i say in this post)

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teq said:

Good luck, but I'll follow this one instead in hopes of interesting information (and not speculation and OMGGIMMIEWAYTOPLAYGAMEZ)

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Finally! One of the rare sane voices in here that ...
QUOTEIn any case, it's my assumption
... oh, well, started a pointless speculation thread all over again. Well, never mind then.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
us average users will never unlock this, you really do need a great understanding about how the wii works, not just from reading stuff, but from actual testing, so someone who is able to test with a duel nand or something would be a great use to the project, tbh i dont think we will see one on wii, for a serioulsy long time, if ever

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mcj said:
teq it's already gone to shit

Yeah... sigh....

I hope another person with some technical knowledge makes their way here....

QUOTEus average users will never unlock this, you really do need a great understanding about how the wii works, not just from reading stuff, but from actual testing, so someone who is able to test with a duel nand or something would be a great use to the project, tbh i dont think we will see one on wii, for a serioulsy long time, if ever

Thanks for your expertise, but we seem to be doing fine without it.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
ok im going to look into this a little not saying im gona be god here, but from my understanding not all games call the same IOS right? so not every gamewill use the IOS 30 to load right? this would need for a complete system patch(unless we patched the IOS30? the wii system menu, then the game can just call its IOS as needed) if so one would need the IOS30 to get anything done here, or can i hex a current IOS to act as another, wasnt there a byte swapping method?

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
ok im going to look into this a little not saying im gona be god here, but from my understanding not all games call the same IOS right? so not every gamewill use the IOS 30 to load right? this would need for a complete system patch(unless we patched the IOS30? the wii system menu, then the game can just call its IOS as needed) if so one would need the IOS30 to get anything done here, or can i hex a current IOS to act as another, wasnt there a byte swapping method?

It's not difficult to patch every IOS, as they're pretty much structured identically.

This way, you'd cover all bases.

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
linkinworm said:

It's not difficult to patch every IOS, as they're pretty much structured identically.

This way, you'd cover all bases.

Would it be possible to patch different IOS on the fly from the thing i said in my other post depending on the disk? would it be possible to identify and then patch the according ios?

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to re-writing the NAND flash, talk with Dark AleX or Fanjita from the PSP scene. Somehow, the idea was to force the battery to boot to the memstick which in turn re-wrote the files. The memstick slot is provided with the SD front slot, now we have to figure out how to direct the boot sequence to the SD Slot, then to the wii system menu, sort of like the BIOS boot sequence.

just my 2 cents

@ teq, did u get a warning from one of the mods too for the this IOS37 wad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over