Bus Drivers are underappreciated people and they have the best stories

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, it's probably just me but I am one to always thank the bus driver when I get off the bus wether I am being dropped off at a track meet or getting bused to CTECH. No matter where I go I always say "thank you". My reasoning is that they are doing a job and they have a huge responsibility for keeping all of us safe and buses are the kind of place where shit can hit the fan. I think they are underappreciated for what they do. Also from every bus driver I've talked to they are always so interesting and friendly. They all have such interesting stories to tell, whether it be about them or their families, past events on the bus, or even former scandals that have happened that the school (Yes I am not kidding)

This thread might come off borderline stupid I just felt i should share.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In my country, bus drivers race other bus drivers in the middle of the avenue.
So no, they don't care about passengers.

Besides, I don't fit on the bus not even standing. So fuck buses and fuck bus drivers.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven’t used a bus in decades, but I always used to thank them when I was leaving the bus. They may only be doing their job, but they’re still doing something for me I wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise. Politeness costs nothing.

Though I can say from experience, roadies have much better stories ;)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I agree, I thanked every bus driver when I used public transport and I think it's just simple good manners. The same way you would thank someone for makimg you a fresh sandwich or just handing you something in a store (remember those days?) People will say thank you for being handed a reciept so why not for taking you to your destination?

All that said however, I only thanked the ones on buses that actually turned up! :rofl2::rofl2:

Reactions: Stwert

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, a bus driver has a responsible position. Many passengers that could die in an accident.

The job can be hard. Sitting behind the wheel of the giant vehicle for hours and dealing with:
  • Traffic (jam)
  • Idiotic motorists and cyclists
  • Zombies (people looking onto their smartphones and staggering onto the street without paying attention to the traffic)
  • Road works (narrow points)
– and –
  • After school: teenagers as loud as a jack-hammer.
Driving through the city with my car once in while is enough. No thanks. I go by bus for the most part. (Or drive my car near to the city to have more frequent bus connection)

Did I forget something?

Impertinent passengers, drunken idiots at night, drug addicts, people damaging the bus…

I respect every bus driver doing a good and important job.

======
But there is another side as well: There are a lot of bus drivers that simply can't do their job. Where I life the driver also sells tickets. Some of them can't use the terminal for that task. Some are unfriendly for no reason and yell at children. Some start driving even if an old person did not have time to sit down. I've seen drivers that stopped in the middle of the way because they did not know their route and I had to tell them where to drive (Yes, new drivers have assistance in the first days and should know the way).

And the worst of all: Some can't really drive the bus (despite the driver's license saying otherwise). On downhill parts with a lot of curves the passengers may learn how to pray. When the teenagers take their headphones off and look away from their phones… you know the driver can't do his/her job.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very true:

Pretty dumb driver, not only against company policy (all companies obviously), it's against the law, idiot shows his face at the end too.

What's worse is he is clearly doing this to record and make fun of a special needs passengers, very low.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty dumb driver, not only against company policy (all companies obviously), it's against the law, idiot shows his face at the end too.

What's worse is he is clearly doing this to record and make fun of a special needs passengers, very low.

I grew up with a special needs aunt, so I’ve never thought of such unfortunate individuals differently to anyone else.
But even had I not, everyone regardless of physical or mental ability, race, creed, sexual orientation, or anything else some people *cough* cockwombles *cough* seem to take issue with, deserve the same respect and treatment such as you would expect yourself.

Put yourself in their shoes for a day and see how you fucking like being treated like a spastic, or whatever...

...... I’m allowed to use that word before anyone gets up in arms, I’ve been disabled for over 10 years now. And while I consider myself very lucky compared to a lot of people, it’s still no feckin joyride.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grew up with a special needs aunt, so I’ve never thought of such unfortunate individuals differently to anyone else.
But even had I not, everyone regardless of physical or mental ability, race, creed, sexual orientation, or anything else some people *cough* cockwombles *cough* seem to take issue with, deserve the same respect and treatment such as you would expect yourself.

Put yourself in their shoes for a day and see how you fucking like being treated like a spastic, or whatever...

...... I’m allowed to use that word before anyone gets up in arms, I’ve been disabled for over 10 years now. And while I consider myself very lucky compared to a lot of people, it’s still no feckin joyride.

Not sure if this post was an attack on me or the driver? But I agree with you.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this post was an attack on me or the driver? But I agree with you.

Definitely not an attack on you my friend, I’m not the sort to lash out at someone, when they haven’t done, or said, anything wrong.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must just be reading it wrong, like I said, I didn't feel you were, but my brain obviously couldn't make sense of a simple post.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I must just be reading it wrong, like I said, I didn't feel you were, but my brain obviously couldn't make sense of a simple post.

I suffer that myself, it’s usually my early, lack of coffee syndrome :D

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I didn't really make this thinking this was gonna happen. Sorry, Man people are being nasty totally not the aim of this thread.
I'm really talking about at least the American School Bus System but fundamentals apply elsewhere too.

On a side note, I'm writing thank you letters to my bus drivers right now I hope this makes them happy!

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Bus drivers can be a hit or miss around here. You can have absolute bastards who just see you standing at the bus stop, hailing them, yet they just drive right past you in an empty bus. And then there was one that brought me to the final stop of the line. I got out and waited for the next bus to bring me home. The driver actually asked me where i needed to go as he was gonna drive his bus to the depot anyway. Since the depot was in my city, i managed to hitch a ride with the friendly bus driver. Such a shame i never saw him anymore tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself