Homebrew Burning Wii Backups In Ubuntu (help!!)

snkngshps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had any luck burning ISOs in Ubuntu and playing them in the wii backup loader channel? I've tried downloading three different ISOs.. I right click on them and go to "Write To Disc" but ubuntu gives me an error saying it's not a valid disc image. I know it's not a problem with my burner because I downloaded a Ubuntu ISO and burned it with no problems. I don't know if maybe it is the way the ISOs are archived in the torrents or what. I've also tried opening Brasero and burning the image from there. I am able to burn the disc but it doesn't play in the backup loader channel.

There is the slight possibility that I just don't have the backup loader channel installed correctly but I don't think that is the case. I had done the recent update from nintendo, before hearing about the backup launcher channel. But I followed the instructions to downgrade to the CIOS with no errors and I installed DVDX via the instructions with no errors and installed the backup launcher channel with no errors. Being that Ubuntu gives me an error when I try to burn the disc image I think the problem is on Ubuntu's end. If anyone has had any experience with this and can help, please let me know! Thanks!!

snkngshps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Brasero will burn it, without an error. But in the past every time I've burned an ISO I've just right clicked on the file and went to "Write To Disc". I've never had an error and I've never had an issue with the disc after burning it. But every wii rom ISO I've tried has given me an error. Like I said, I can burn it in Brasero without an error but I haven't been able to get it to play on the backup loader channel.

Side question, is there a way to check and make sure everything is set up properly for the backup channel? I'm pretty sure I did it correctly but I want to check and make sure the problem isn't on the wii's end and not my computer.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure youve just never noticed that error before.
Ive used Brasero before, but I usually use k3b. I get the non iso9660 error on both of them, every time.

Just burn the disc, it will work fine.

snkngshps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hartleyshc said:
Im pretty sure youve just never noticed that error before.
Ive used Brasero before, but I usually use k3b. I get the non iso9660 error on both of them, every time.

Just burn the disc, it will work fine.

I have ignored the error and kept burning and so far I haven't had any luck. The error might be on the Wii's end I suppose. I have a thread investigating that possibility also: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=116...p;gopid=1562084 I might just need to try and start over completely.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have used Brasero and had good results. I've recently switched to K3b and like it better and have good results from that as well. I have an LG drive. Not sure what is happening with you there. I also get the "non iso9660" error, but it doesn't make any difference.

You can try using imgburn under Wine, that's worked for me as well.

You can use all of these programs regardless of your window manager / desktop manager as long as you have the proper dependencies. I'm running fluxbox and have no issues. Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Nero Linux trial.
tongue.gif

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
write to disc is the gnome burner and it is not compatible with dvd isos so you have ot use brasero you can search for it on synaptic

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll second what Hooya said about ImgBurn. I use it to burn all Wii backups and find that it works well under Wine (the program even mentions Wine as supported on its website).

Install Wine:
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine

Configure Wine and select autodetect under drives so that it will configure your optical drive for Wine.
Code:
winecfg

Then download and install ImgBurn:
Code:
wget http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe
wine SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe

Now you can launch ImgBurn from Wine ->> Programs ->> ImgBurn (if you're using Gnome Do simply restart it and you'll be able to launch it via that too).

snkngshps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I guess I know now that the problem is on my Wii's end and not my computer. I came close to formatting my hard drive and resintalling intrepid ibex. I'm glad I didn't do that.

I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly on my Wii.. but is there any way I can just delete everything related to the Wii Backup Loader and try it again? What all would I need to delete?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn