PS1/2 Burning PS2 games, dvd+r or dvd-r?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some trouble playing burned ps2 games. I'm using free mc boot with ESR. And the discs are verbatim dvd-r. The problem is during gameplay the load times are extremely slow. Like 3 minutes every time it goes from one scene to another. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Is there a certain type of blank DVD I need? At what speed should I burn the disc?

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Platinums DVD+R at 6x and the most wil run normaal, but i get one game not working.
That is Chaos Legion (usa/pal), what i do, i get always lagy music in the first stage.
After lot of try out on some dvdr brands, i get the same problems.

Now i play of hdd with no problems.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I use Platinums DVD+R at 6x and the most wil run normaal, but i get one game not working.
That is Chaos Legion (usa/pal), what i do, i get always lagy music in the first stage.
After lot of try out on some dvdr brands, i get the same problems.

Now i play of hdd with no problems.

Try another burner the quality of the dvdr drive can matter also

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried dvd+r and it's the same thing. The load times are incredibly slow. The game I'm trying to play is kingdom hearts 2 final mix. Any other suggestions?

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burn the game at the highest supported speed for the discs that you bought.

Make sure you aren't burning onto scratched discs also.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't have another PS2. And they don't sell them in stores anymore. Maybe I should try the external hard drive method.

if its a Slim PS2 and your talking external HDD / USB Thumb Drive... For the love of god no, dont it takes ages to load (PS2 is USB 1.1) if you got a fat ps2 however get the Network Adapter that also takes IDE HDD's and get a 120GB or so if its non HDA and if it is well up to 2TB HDD in there it will load much faster

Id say play it safe and use a 120GB IDE HDD with a PS2 Network Adapter. You can always check out your local Craigslist for this stuff or another PS2

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have another PS2. And they don't sell them in stores anymore. Maybe I should try the external hard drive method.
USB method will also be slow, since PS2 supports only USB 1.1.

* Do you have a retail/legit PS2 games to test PS2 laser?
* Do you have any other burned PS2 games to test?
* Did you run the KH2 at PC w/PCSX2 prior to burning?
* Are you still using Verbatim? Stay away from it. In fact stay away from DVD+R.
* Try burning it at middle speed, neither the slowest nor the fastest.

+R is quite different than -R and -ROM, and when it comes to console it is best to avoid it (they are also more stressful on laser than -R).

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll never get the same speeds as a legit disc using a burned one, it's just like usb loading, some skips and fmv stutter here and there. It's just a slight annoyance for what you get to do though...

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have retail games. They work just fine. No I haven't tried burning any other games yet. No my computer isn't powerful enough to run PCSX2. I tried sony brand this time. I haven't tried burning any more discs yet because I don't wanna waste them.

I have a slim and plays all my games via external HDD. except for a few FMV stutters (usb 1.1) the games run fine. Load times are not bad either.
What kind of hard drive do you have?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have retail games. They work just fine. No I haven't tried burning any other games yet. No my computer isn't powerful enough to run PCSX2. I tried sony brand this time. I haven't tried burning any more discs yet because I don't wanna waste them.
I can only recommend Tayio Yuden and nothing else. Not even Sony branded disc. Console are a delicate thing so you will want the best quality disc. For the record neither Sony nor Verbatim produce their own disc. They off-source the production to various subcontractors.

Anyway, try another burnt game? It sounds to me like it is more due to the game itself than hardware problem. Maybe that Kingdom Heart 2 ISO is a bad dump?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I decided to try the internal hard drive method. I found a good tutorial here:

Now I need to find a hard drive like that one and a network adapter. Any ideas on where I can get them for good prices? Also do those cables that he used to connect the hard drive to the PC come with it or are they sold separately?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4