burning or making an iso from the usb drive after installation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ryanhaggan, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ryanhaggan
    OP

Newcomer ryanhaggan Member

United States
    I have a question. BTW, i havn't tried this as yet cuz of the lack of a usb hdd.

If i have a wii iso file on my desktop (windows vista), and i install it onto the wii formatted usb HDD, would i be able to make an iso file from the installed game later on in life... that is, can i reverse the process? The reason being, I would love to burn all the games that I think are actually worth burning... if you know what i mean.

some other trivial questions:
    1. can you delete games using the wii usb loader interface?

2. um... I had a few others, but i guess that's all i had for now... i wanted to ask about using the same hdd for both in windows and wii... but somebody already answered that.

3.OH!... What is the speed difference when loading from an externally powered hdd compared to a usb powered hdd? Does it make much of a difference?

4. I'm looking to buy an external hdd, any recommendations? I prefer a usb powered one, but if the external is better for the wii, I'll go for that. I've been doing a lot of research on external usb hdd but can't come up with the perfect answer.

Thanks in advance to all

2. patts

Newcomer patts Member

Sweden

3. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    To answer 1 question:

Yes you can extract a game that is copied to HDD

BUT

The iso isn't identical to the original rip.

When copying an iso to the hdd it somhow gets a scrubbed threatment, when you extract the iso gets padded to 4.xGb
    When you compare the original rip with the extracted iso, you will notify it's different right away when you look into it with a hex editor.

4. ryanhaggan
    OP

United States

hey since you're up, maybe you have the answer for the first first question, all the way at the top? Thanks

5. ryanhaggan
    OP

United States

WOW! Am i hearing right... i know about scrubbs, but you are saying that i CAN indeed do a reverse. I really wasn't expecting that.

UM, when you install a game on the usb hdd, does it create an iso file on it? I guess what I'm really trying to ask is, how do go about doing the reverse, that is, creating an iso from the wii formatted usb hdd? Do you use the windows utility that i see floating around

Thanks a lot bro.

6. Cypherdias

Newcomer Cypherdias Advanced Member

United States
    The game is saved in a format called wbfs on the external HDD. But yes, you can use the wbfs-tool floating around for Linux and Windows to recreate an ISO again, which is slightly different to the original (as getting scrubbed). To be exact, the tool is the only way to do that currently. You can also create wbfs-files from an ISO by yourself using that tool (create option), but that doesn't make sense, as there is no way to use these files right now.

7. ryanhaggan
    OP

United States

excellent, you guys are the greatest. all my questions answered in a matter of minutes. Going to purchase a usb hdd right now. the western digital one 320 gigs fro 80 bucks on amazon. usb powered. not bad if you ask me... and you didn't did you.

8. AdamBrunt

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

The "Passport Essential" one ? That's the one I am going for - and the white version should go nicely sitting next to the Wii [​IMG]

9. ryanhaggan
    OP

United States

ehh, i'm actually still looking around, amazon has it through J&R for that price, and they charge tax and shipping, so eh... they do have a Toshiba 250 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive for 62, but it seems like the fail rate if very high... I will never find the right one at the right price [​IMG]

10. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I can confirm that the western digital externals are the way to go with wii. I haven't heard a single report of one failing and I just bought a 160gb on the cheap ($50) at target and it works wonderfully. 5 games and I've only used 10GB of space.

11. ryanhaggan
    OP

United States

actually, i was looking at thoes for $50. can you tell me how fast it writes to the hard drive. I heard that the older models, which i'm guessing are the 160 and lower ones write a little slower than the newer ones... and paying 80 for a 320 isn't that bad.

Think i'll get that 160 for $50 and when the prices drop in a year or so, i'll get that 500 GB arctic white usb powered one