Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I searched and couldn't find anything on DVD+R discs. I have a Wiikey v1, and usually I just burn on DVD-R discs. For one burn, though, I have to use a DVD+R disc (long story), and I'm wondering if it'll work correctly. Usually it doesn't matter whether you have + or - discs, so why is the Wii different?

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to be certain of a +R working booyktype it to -R. Modchips don't normally care about +R vs -R though.
The reason everyone stresses -R for burns is because not alot of the dvd drives in the wii won't properly read +R (alot of DRE's), so we say just use -r to prevent alot of issues that may be caused by the wii drive, as all wii drives seem to read -R without issue

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
I searched and couldn't find anything on DVD+R discs. I have a Wiikey v1, and usually I just burn on DVD-R discs. For one burn, though, I have to use a DVD+R disc (long story), and I'm wondering if it'll work correctly. Usually it doesn't matter whether you have + or - discs, so why is the Wii different?

For modchips it doesn't matter if you use DVD-R or DVD+R. For softmods it's important, the Wii doesn't recocnise DVD+R without bitsetting as dvd video...

franky86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we got a wii for christmas and one of the first things i did was install homebrew and then gamma 0.3

i've made a few backups of games we had(to test it out) and some we rented. and those all worked fine except rayman raving rabbids 2(ntsc). direct copy got me to the strap screen then froze after. tried patching it(even tho it isnt needed anymore, i know) and i get disc error and told to reboot wii. gave up on it =\

i've downloaded a few ISOs via torrents. most of them are pal but most work with forced NTSC. fire emblem, manhunt 2, super paper mario, and a couple others.

a few downloaded games that didn't worked were okami(pal) and wii music(pal). both were pre-patched. could that be the problem? a lot of my other downloaded games claimed to be patched but worked fine(why i tried it on rayman raving rabbids 2)

i've been using RetailPlus+ DVD+R discs because we have a stack of 50 we picked up over a year ago.

i am unsure if the disks i'm using are the problem or if its the specific games or if i need to try newer/different backup launchers or get some other cIOSs. I have a nice working system with a dozen working backups and homebrew all running fine so I am weary of tweaking with my wii more and ruining what i have going.

what are the chances the problem is just my discs? we're almost out of them so i'll be buying some new ones soon anyways. i read verbatim -r are the best to get, is that true?

also, i've been using nero burning rom(v7 nero) to burn discs. i can't find an option for setting the booktype. is that not a feature of nero? should i get a different burning program?

if getting better quality, -R discs doesn't solve my problem with my games, any suggestions on what i need to install/change on my wii to get these games to work?

thanks for *any* advice. /noob.

Nuke85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
franky86 said:
we got a wii for christmas and one of the first things i did was install homebrew and then gamma 0.3

i've made a few backups of games we had(to test it out) and some we rented. and those all worked fine except rayman raving rabbids 2(ntsc). direct copy got me to the strap screen then froze after. tried patching it(even tho it isnt needed anymore, i know) and i get disc error and told to reboot wii. gave up on it =\

i've downloaded a few ISOs via torrents. most of them are pal but most work with forced NTSC. fire emblem, manhunt 2, super paper mario, and a couple others.

a few downloaded games that didn't worked were okami(pal) and wii music(pal). both were pre-patched. could that be the problem? a lot of my other downloaded games claimed to be patched but worked fine(why i tried it on rayman raving rabbids 2)

i've been using RetailPlus+ DVD+R discs because we have a stack of 50 we picked up over a year ago.

i am unsure if the disks i'm using are the problem or if its the specific games or if i need to try newer/different backup launchers or get some other cIOSs. I have a nice working system with a dozen working backups and homebrew all running fine so I am weary of tweaking with my wii more and ruining what i have going.

what are the chances the problem is just my discs? we're almost out of them so i'll be buying some new ones soon anyways. i read verbatim -r are the best to get, is that true?

also, i've been using nero burning rom(v7 nero) to burn discs. i can't find an option for setting the booktype. is that not a feature of nero? should i get a different burning program?

if getting better quality, -R discs doesn't solve my problem with my games, any suggestions on what i need to install/change on my wii to get these games to work?

thanks for *any* advice. /noob.

So pretty much..You're using +R's to play wii games, and your using gamma loader to boot up them..So you're problem is +R's get -R's..For quality sure go ahead and get verbatim I hear they are good. Sorry if I read incorrectly. Oh yeah for a burning program use imgburn, their is a tutorial here some where on here (just search it..) It tells you to how change the booktype to DVD+ROM to DVD-ROM with imgburn. (I would do this instead of buying -R's)

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digitydogs said:
-R is DVD-ROM. burns at 16x take about 3 mins.

I think you are confused. -R is not -ROM.

In some sort of bizarre unorthodox case you could bitset to -R, but there would be no (typically) valid reason to do so. DVD-ROM is the booktype of legitimate pressed media, and the entire reason for bitsetting is to increase compatibility by making drives think that +R is pressed media using the bitset -ROM booktype.

edit:
In regards to above, DVD+ROM is not a booktype.
Read here for a list of booktypes that exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_type

krissynz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On burning rom through nero click on options next to the file upload menu, there is a booktype setting in there, I use this program as well.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How do you booktype using IMGburn? I have two computers and none of my drives match the manufacturers that I can choose. Here are my drives exactly what it says in IMGburn:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H40N RA00 (ATA)
PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08L 2.50 (ATA)

None of them match the 8 manufacturers I can choose from when going into the change book type menu. Do my drives not support bitsetting?

EDIT: Should I just not worry about changing the booktype to DVD-ROM and burn on my DVD+R disc? Remember I have a modchip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs