Burning at slowest speed (3.3) bad?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by MagicDrumSticks, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009
  1. MagicDrumSticks
    OP

Newcomer MagicDrumSticks Member

United States
    I'm currently on 16X verbatims and have some Toshiba-Samsung drive on the hp dv5t (if anyone else has this combo let me know)

So I hear burning at slow speeds is BAD now? What the hell? How do I test to see which is the best speed?

2. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    Burn at max speed all the time, if they wernt ment to burn at 16X there wouldn't be 16X burners.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Burning at max speed should give any issues
    Presonally I burn on 4x and also never had bad burns

4. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    u mean shouldn't give right?

5. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    *sigh*

seriously - how many more are going to ask this ?

Its a personal thing based on the discs you have , the drive you have , the software and the power of your PC

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT

and this question has been asked 100's of times - next time use SEARCH

6. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    oops sorry

7. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Following advice from others, I used Verbatim DVD-R, and burned at 4x speed. I never had a problem with any of the games playing. I tested a game that I already had backed up at maximum write speed, and it wouldn't play (black screen). Everyone's experience and advice seems to differ, but I simply stuck to what worked for me, since I didn't want to make a thousand coasters. The funny thing is, I had just bought a new spindle of Verbatim DVD-R about four days before USB Loader launched. I don't even use the discs now, except for the handful of titles that don't work on USB yet.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I always recommend to use half max speed nowadays. That's a rule that works for both new and old burners and gives good results, but maybe not the best. (which you get at 1x with VERY OLD burners, 1st gen, and at 16X with "new" burners, 2 years or less old)

9. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Will add here though if your computer hasn't got a lot of system memory or your using a load of memory intensive programs you still may get issues trying to burn at max speeds purely because the hard drive cannot stream the data fast enough to the burner to burn the data to the disk!

4x is usually enough for most people ... although as above some people have success at 16x [​IMG]

But will add here if you buy Cheap A$$ high speed media expect to have some problems ..rule of the thumb is find a good media that's reliable at a certain speed with your burner and stick with it [​IMG]

10. TehLexinator

Member TehLexinator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It all depends on your meadia and burner.

If I burn on max, I get a lot of movies skipping and a lot of bad disks, where my Wii can't read them.

When I burn at 6X (even though my media is 18X), I get perfect discs, that don't stop mid game or skip on movies.